Baseball, Books, and ... I need a third B

One guy's random thoughts on things of interest -- books, baseball, and whatever else catches my attention in today's hectic world.

Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Public service, ... Maybe

I don't know why, but these two pieces caught my eye. It seems I should have lots of pithy observations on her choices, but nothing springs to mind. Hence, I'll just throw them out there and see what y'all think. [Click on the links if you want more explanation.]

First, 10 Things You Shouldn't Buy New:
Books
DVDs and CDs
Little kids' toys
Jewelry
Sports equipment
Timeshares
Cars
Software/games
Office furniture
Hand tools
Okay, I've got no problem with most of her suggestions, but is this a typical shopping basket for many folks? "Yeah, I need a new baseball mitt, an office desk, and a diamond engagement ring. Oh, and I've just GOT to have a timeshare today!" I don't know, just seems an odd assortment.

Okay, now that you know what not to buy new, how about 10 Things You Should Never Buy Used:
Laptops
Car seats
Plasma TVs
DVD players
Vacuum cleaners
Camcorders
Shoes
Mattresses
Wet suits
Helmets

Okay I thought this list was much more sensible (I mean mattresses -- ick!) until I got to "wetsuit". Geesh!

As I said, I've got nothing to add to these. Just thought they were intersting and thought I'd share them with y'all. Ooh, this could be fun. Do you have an item to add to either list? I'll go first:
Don't buy new: Ties. Have you seen how much new ties cost? Thrift stores have wonderful collections of nice ties -- barely worn. Of course my opinion of this might change if I wore a tie more often, but that's my pick.
Don't buy used: Underwear. [Yeah it was easy and obvious. Sorry.]

2 Comments:

At 1:44 AM, Blogger Vol Abroad said...

I'm a big fan of used jewelry. I got my "engagement ring" second hand. Being a bit cash poor when we first got married, a flash engagement ring was a low priority - but when we finally got around to it - I got something I really liked for quite a decent price.

 
At 12:22 PM, Blogger melusina said...

I'm pretty indifferent to most of her "shouldn't buy new" choices. I usually like new books because I can't bear one that someone has written in, not to mention, there are no used *English* bookstores here, so since I like to look at a used copy before I buy I'm pretty much hosed. And I absolutely can't bear used DVDs, I have enough problems with rentals (people *really* abuse DVDs here, it seems) to spend money on a used DVD. I can find most new things I want around 9.99 anyway.

I agree with the never buy used list.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home