Baseball, Books, and ... I need a third B

One guy's random thoughts on things of interest -- books, baseball, and whatever else catches my attention in today's hectic world.

Friday, November 02, 2007

Asking for it

For the most part, I like my adopted home state. Sure there are some things I could live without, but all-in-all it's not a bad place. Most outsiders, though, don't see it that way. In fact, the last 2 states I've lived in (AL and MS) both often are perceived as bastions of backwardness. Most of the time I think this "perception" is mistaken condescension by outsiders, but sometimes we kind of ask for it. For instance, this Halloween wedding. I'm just praying that someone from My Name Is Earl saw this story.



Two Decatur vampires met their brides on Halloween night for a double wedding ceremony featuring glow sticks, a motorcycle-riding Jesus and Freddy Krueger.

Stephanie Lynn Arnold, 22, and her mother, Debbie Lynn Harville, 38, both in costume as vampire brides, married Peter Daniel Brauchle, 26, and William Thomas "Tommy" Curbow, 31, respectively.

Yes you read that right. It was a mama and her daughter in a double wedding with a fog machine, a Freddy Krueger ring bearer, and a black-clad motorcycle Jesus officiating. The crowning touch -- the matriarch walked down the aisle to a Survivor tune! (I'd have bet the ranch on Skynyrd.)

I'm all for free spirits and the general pursuit of happiness, but I guess I have respect for some traditions. I can think of two: Major League Baseball should begin its season with a day game in Cincinnati and weddings should be solemn. Now that I think about it, though, I'm flexible on that wedding thing. I wouldn't do it, but if it made them happy, well good for them. There's no room for discussion on that baseball thing though!

1 Comments:

At 1:52 PM, Blogger Vol Abroad said...

freaks

although except for the mother daughter thing, I wouldn't put this especially down to AL - sounds more like my mental image of California

 

Post a Comment

<< Home