Baseball, Books, and ... I need a third B

One guy's random thoughts on things of interest -- books, baseball, and whatever else catches my attention in today's hectic world.

Friday, September 30, 2005

Travel tips

Given that a lot of folks travel during weekends ...

Over at Vox Baby, Andrew Samwick has a list of travel tips (for stage coach riders) he culled from a Wells Fargo history exhibit. [Proving that even ivy league economists have a sense of whimsy.] Apparently these tips first appeared in the Omaha Herald in 1877. Reading over the list, I was struck by how travel has changed, and NOT changed, in 128 years. Here are a few gems that jumped out at me:

When the driver asks you to get off and walk, do it without grumbling. He will not request it unless absolutely necessary. If a team runs away, sit still and take your chances; if you jump, nine times out of ten you will be hurt.
Be nice to the driver, pilot, etc., and sometimes the best thing to do
is hold on tightly.


Don't growl at food stations; stage companies generally provide the best they can get. Don't keep the stage waiting; many a virtuous man has lost his character by so doing.
I originally noticed this tip because of its modern relevance -- stop complaining about the food and amenities. What really struck me, though, was the last part, "many a virtuous man has lost his character by so doing." Priceless phrasing.

Spit on the leeward side of the coach. If you have anything to take in a bottle, pass it around; a man who drinks by himself in such a case is lost to all human feeling. Provide stimulants before starting; ranch whisky is not always nectar. Don't smoke a strong pipe inside especially early in the morning.
Great advice for any era.

Don't swear, nor lop over on your neighbor when sleeping. Don't ask how far it is to the next station until you get there.
"Are we there yet?" was an annoyance even in 1877. I must admit, though, that I'm not sure if I've ever inadvertently "lopped over" on my neighbor. If so, sorry.

Never attempt to fire a gun or pistol while on the road, it may frighten the team; and the careless handling and cocking of the weapon makes nervous people nervous. Don't discuss politics or religion, nor point out places on the road where horrible murders have been committed.
Again, solid advice 128 years later. I do wish the laundromat talker had read that bit about how careless handling of the weapon tends to make others nervous. Finally, it appears the annoying "know-it-all" traveling companion has been with us quite a while, though I'm not sure what would bring one to go on about the sites of horrible murders.


Anyway, those are a few that caught my eye. The full list contains additional hints, including a reference to the "tater patch" danger that arises from greasing ones hair before a dusty trip.

I'm off to Huntsville this afternoon, so this likely is all for Friday.

4 Comments:

At 4:16 PM, Blogger Vol Abroad said...

I can feel the love from your previous commenter all the way over here in the UK.

That lopping thing gets me every time. Late night travelling on the Tube frequently finds me lopped by the neighboring drunk. I laugh, though, when I think of them waking up, disoriented at the end of the line.

 
At 2:02 PM, Blogger St. Caffeine said...

Yes, Vol, that was quite the personal note from the previous commenter. Wow, he thought my last post was great and he just happens to have something to sell? As you can see, I've exiled him, but others will take his place. I'm thinking of turning on "word verification" (as you have done), but I've just been too lazy.

BTW, your Vols are smiting my Rebs sorely. Give us a break!

 
At 1:41 PM, Blogger Andrew said...

Thanks for the link. To set up a free trackback system, go to Haloscan.

 
At 4:46 PM, Blogger Vol Abroad said...

NEVER!! The Vols shall be VICTORIOUS. (Well, maybe not against Florida and there are some tough games in the rest of the season)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home