Baseball, Books, and ... I need a third B

One guy's random thoughts on things of interest -- books, baseball, and whatever else catches my attention in today's hectic world.

Thursday, January 31, 2008

More entertainment

I can't believe I'm going to blog on movies yet again. But I am.

I don't follow the movie news, but occasionally I somehow become aware of certain movies looming on the horizon. Strangely enough, right now there are movie versions (in the process of) being made of three of my favorite books.


The Time Traveler's Wife is set for release in June. I shudder at the thought of what they'll do to the best book I've read in several years. I'm not kidding. If you haven't read it, do so now!

Evidently The Mysteries of Pittsburgh has already been released, though I doubt it'll ever make it to my town. The reviews aren't very good, but I loved the book. Maybe it was a "time in my life" thing, but I thought it was much better than his later books -- even the Pulitzer winner.

Finally, The Risk Pool is in "pre-production", whatever that means. "This is one of my all-time favorite "funny novels". Again maybe it's just my contrarian nature, but I like it better than his more acclaimed later books. Yes, (again) even more than his Pulitzer winner. Normally I'd be very worried about how badly they'll butcher the book, but Lawrence Kasdan is directing and Tom Hanks is (supposedly) starring. While I think Tom Hanks can pull off just about any role, I cannot picture him as Sam Hall. It just doesn't work for me.

Anyway, I am cautiously eager to see all three. I'm going to keep my expectations low, so maybe they'll be exceeded. Now if Hollywood could just work out all the issues and get this book on the silver screen, I'd be very happy.

2 Comments:

At 7:27 PM, Blogger Frank Anthony Polito said...

If you're interested in reading the MYSTERIES OF PITTSBURGH screenplay, drop me a line: bechstein[at]yahoo[dot]com

As the moderator of the Official MOP Film Boycott, I've got to warn you... It's NOTHING like the book! (Hence the boycott)

 
At 7:28 PM, Blogger Frank Anthony Polito said...

Join the Official MYSTERIES OF PITTSBURGH Film Boycott!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home