Baseball, Books, and ... I need a third B

One guy's random thoughts on things of interest -- books, baseball, and whatever else catches my attention in today's hectic world.

Wednesday, January 23, 2008

An interesting market opportunity

This has been making the rounds of the econ blog sites, but in case you haven't seen it:

Randy Newsom, a Cleveland Indian relief pitching prospect, is selling himself. Well sort of.

RSI is currently offering 4% of his future major league salary at
the price of $50,000. RSI is selling shares of Randy Newsom for
$20/Share through 2/1/08. 2,500 total shares will be sold.
[...]
1 Share will lay claim to 0.0016% of Randy's future major league
earnings.


Thus, if the guy earns $1 million in MLB, a shareholder would collect $16.

I'm intrigued -- both by the baseball aspect and the "markets in everything" aspect. If the guy just makes a major league roster for three years, this would almost be a winning bet (the MLB minimum salary over the next couple of years is $400,000).

I mostly agree with the standard econ interpretation of this as a form of wage insurance for athletes, but I'm thinking of a twist that I might put on it to use in class. Why just offer 4% of your future salary? Why not offer up 50% or more of your earnings? I'm hoping my students would realize that doing so would greatly reduce a player's incentive to work hard and do his best (because he would only be getting half his "worth"). I can then segue from that into a discussion of the disincentive effect of income taxation in general! The only thing is, the disincentive effect of income taxation is not really one of my soapbox issues. Still, I think it might be interesting. Hmm, something to think about.

In the meantime I need to do some research into the question of whether Mr. Newsom is a legitimate MLB prospect.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home