Baseball, Books, and ... I need a third B

One guy's random thoughts on things of interest -- books, baseball, and whatever else catches my attention in today's hectic world.

Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Why?

Today I was all set to blog about a question posed by Arnold Kling (originally asked by Matthew Kahn). Given that we somtimes (er, most always) think we know better than the rest of the world, why are there so few economists in elected offices? As as economist I obviously think the world would be a better place if we were running it, but I had several tounge-in-cheek explanations ready to explain the dearth of economists in office. C'mon, we can do better than Phil Gramm and Dick Armey! Before I could do that, though, I found myself in a situation that led me to question my decision making ability -- I found myself shopping for books!

Those of you that know me well know that the last thing I need is more books. I blame the whole thing on the Quality Paperback Book Club. [By the way, if any of you want to join, I can get some free books. Heck, you might even talk me into sharing.] See, they suckered me in with a classic example of 2nd degree price discrimination. If I bought just one book (the one I wanted) at full price, they'd sell me an unlimited number of additional books at 1/2 their already low price. Did it work? Well, I've got 4 new books on the way to Decatur!

Now it's tempting to say that I was foolishly taken in by a scheme even though I recognized it upfront. As an economist, though, I can't admit that. Seriously, [I'll take a teaching opportunity here] this should serve as a reminder that just because a deal is good for one party (QPB) that does not mean it is automatically bad for the other (me). In other words, QPB obviously gains from this pricing structure, else they wouldn't offer it. That does not mean, though, that I got taken. In economics-speak, my marginal utility for each additional book was lower than the original book, hence I would not have purchased them at the original "high" prices. By lowering the price on a subsequent book until it reached my reservation price, QPB gained a sale and I got a book (3 actually) that I wouldn't have bought otherwise. Do I feel ripped off? No, or I wouldn't have bought the books even at the lower prices.

Hmm, I guess I've changed my mind as I've been writing. I DON'T feel that this was an example of bad decision making that should count against economists running the world. Now it may be that I have screwed up priorities (buying additional books when one already has more books than he'll ever get around to reading), but my decision is not irrational from a utility maximization point of view. Of course, von Mises argued that economic man cannot be irrational in that any action is taken to further a subjective utility, but that seems to be splitting hairs.

Nope, I'm back to thinking that economists really should hold elected office. Whew, for a minute there I thought my economics hubris was waning.

5 Comments:

At 5:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's it! We really must put you on a strict diet of Stats 1 & 2. They were just books. OK I'll give you that you probably have more than any sane person should (oh wait that's me) never mind....

 
At 1:35 AM, Blogger Vol Abroad said...

There's a probability issue here. I buy a lot of books from the discard pile of the City of Westminster library or from charity shops [thrift stores] I buy a lot of crap that I don't end up reading, but often I get a decent read and occasionally I get a real winner - and for about $0.17 per book. What are the chances that one of those books you didn't want will turn out to be something you do want, only you didn't know it before? As the price is reduced, your willingness to take that risk should rise (cp).

Of course, maybe you have better knowledge of what you're buying than I do.

 
At 1:36 AM, Blogger Vol Abroad said...

Oh...and what did you get?

 
At 8:39 AM, Blogger St. Caffeine said...

VA, I agree with your theory of buying any cheap book on the hope that it turns out to be good. If not, well it's just a $ (or whatever). I really applied that logic to the 4th book in my cart (it was $2, with free shipping). So what were these books (thanks for asking)?

1. A 2 pack: The Oxford American Writer's Thesauras (much more than just a Thesarus) and Word Myths (about the false origins ascribed to many common words and phrases.

2. The NY Times Guide to Essential Knowledge. This is a seriously informative book and a godsend for those weekend crossword puzzles.

3. The Time Traveler's Wife. I've heard lots of buzz about this book, but I've never gotten around to reading it.

4. Plague -- well, it's about the plague. I was iffy on this one, but it was $2.

Wow, I just now realized I only got one novel. It seems QPB tends to focus on the best sellers in fiction, so I guess that might explain it.

By the way, I loved your disclaimer of (cp) at the end of your comment. I knew your economics training stuck!

 
At 3:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Read The Time Traveler's Wife and LOVED it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home