Baseball, Books, and ... I need a third B

One guy's random thoughts on things of interest -- books, baseball, and whatever else catches my attention in today's hectic world.

Wednesday, October 05, 2005

1 down, 10 to go

Though the bullpen tried its best to give it away, the Cards won game one. Carpenter didn't look sharp, but he left (with a cramp in his hand?) with a shutout. The bullpen looked really shaky, but at least Tony didn't bring in Ray "gas on the fire" King. Can anyone tell me why he is on the postseason roster? He was an absolute disaster down the stretch, though to be honest, Izzy and the rest of the guys weren't that much better. By the way, I'm assuming King is on the playoff roster. I looked at ESPN and MLB and I can't find the official playoff rosters for each team. If anyone knows where I could find those, please let me know. Note that both sites have "roster" links, but it's not the official 25-man playoff roster.

Anyway, just 10 more victories and WE will win OUR 10th World Series title. Okay, that's looking a little too far into the future, but I can dream.

By the way, did anyone else flash back to Don Denkinger on that play early in the game when the ump ruled Pujols did not beat the runner to first? I know Jon Miller and "his broadcast partner whose name I cannot bring myself to utter or type" (BTW, why must THAT man be assigned to the Cards' series?) mentioned the '85 Series an inning or so later, but the play put me into an immediate funk. Baseball is a superstitious sport and that was not a good omen. Of course my funk was lifted by Reggie Sanders a little later. Funny how a grand slam will do that, huh?

Okay, reading over that last paragraph, I realize you normal (i.e., non-baseball folk) will think it's a little strange that I remember the umpire's name. Trust me; if you were a Cardinal fan, it would make perfect sense.

2 Comments:

At 12:39 PM, Blogger Vol Abroad said...

Right, remember when I said I wouldn't read the baseball blogs, but then you had that great post about touring around watching minor league baseball... and I said, hey that's pretty good.

Right - so today's post is the kind of baseball post I won't be reading in future. This is not a criticism, keep it up, blog about baseball... Just please clearly title them.

 
At 12:46 PM, Blogger St. Caffeine said...

First, CF, notice that I italicized "normal" -- implying that I didn't consider that normal.

Second, okay Vol, I'll try to alert you, upfront, to any baseball related posts.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home