Baseball, Books, and ... I need a third B

One guy's random thoughts on things of interest -- books, baseball, and whatever else catches my attention in today's hectic world.

Thursday, January 26, 2006

Lost just lost me

I don't know if any of you watch Lost, but it seems to be a pretty popular show and I enjoy watching it, when I remember that it's on. Last night, though, they may have jumped the shark.

Given the fanatical devotion to this show, I wasn't surprised to find that several someones out there recreate the transcript of each episode. Unfortunately, though, no one has gotten around to last night's episode. Hence, I'm going to have to do this from memory.

To set the scene: Charlie (former druggie rock star) has been having these weird "lucid dreams" or "visions" or something. They all seem to involve Claire and, more specifically, Claire's baby boy being in SERIOUS peril. In all the visions, Charlie is being encouraged to "save the baby" from some looming danger.

Okay, now Charlie is telling the big, incredibly wise, zen-like priest guy about his "sleepwalking" and "crazy dream" sessions. Here goes:
Charlie: Man, something is wrong. I'm sleepwalking all the time and I keep having these weird, very vivid dreams where the baby is in grave danger.

Zen-Guy: What kind of dreams? [He is a man of few words.]

Charlie: Well, the baby is ALWAYS IN DANGER and Claire, among others, keeps telling me that I have to SAVE THE BABY. Oh yeah, there's a white dove that flies down from heaven.

Zen-Guy: Hmm. [I told you; he's a man of few words.]

Charlie: What? What is it? Tell me! [Charlie is much more loquacious.]

Zen-Guy: Maybe the dreams mean something.

Charlie: What? What is it? Tell me! [Charlie also is unoriginal.]

Zen-Guy: Maybe you're supposed to SAVE THE BABY!

Wow! Thanks a lot, big Zen-Guy! Good thing the castaways have a religious/spiritual leader among them to interpret such a confusing dream sequence! The only conclusion I can reach: Charlie is a complete dumbass!

I don't know just why that bothered me so much, but I don't think I can watch the show any longer. If they're resorting to such cheap gimmicks, I fear they have run out of originality. Thankfully, I still have the Gilmore Girls!

Note: The GGs aren't perfect. I was watching a rerun the other night and I caught them in a pretty big boner. If you've seen the show, you know it's famous for it's rapid-fire, razor-sharp dialog. It's usually pretty good, but occasionally they get a little too rapid. In the episode I was watching, Paris was trying to cut someone down by dismissing his thoughts as an "amusing anecdote". Problem was, she called it an "amusing ANTIDOTE". I really don't think Paris was talking about funny medicine. Yes, I know Paris is not a real person, but I was offended that a super-intelligent Yale journalism major would make such a mistake.

2 Comments:

At 10:47 AM, Blogger melusina said...

You watch the Gilmore Girls????

Ok, I was entertained the few times I watched it, but I never watched when I was still in the U.S. and it comes on early in the day here, so I never watch it. And if I do watch it, my husband teases me all day about watching "Oi Koritsi Gilmore" in a strong Greek accent (which he doesn't have).

I can't do Lost. Watched the first 5 episodes and was totally bored and did not care one iota about any character on the show.

 
At 4:03 PM, Blogger St. Caffeine said...

Yes, Mel, I watch the Gilmores. It's only the best episodic show on TV today! Feel free, though, to make snide remarks. See why I didn't want to add knitting as a hobby?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home