Baseball, Books, and ... I need a third B

One guy's random thoughts on things of interest -- books, baseball, and whatever else catches my attention in today's hectic world.

Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Philosophical question

Something's been bugging me of late. I've thought about it and thought about it, but I can't seem to make up my mind. Hence, I figured I'd toss it out on the blogosphere. Here goes:

Suppose you have a strong opinion on an issue. You have good reasoning (you believe) backing up the opinion and in your heart-of-hearts you really do believe the opinion is "right". On the other hand, EVERYONE else on the planet is of the opposite opinion. I'm talking about random strangers, the "experts", even people you know, love, and trust. This preponderance of evidence for the other side has led you to conclude that your opinion may, in fact, be wrong. You accept that MAYBE the rest of the free world is right about this issue. Does it make you irrational if you continue to hold to your original opinion?

First, I'm willing to concede the other side makes good points and even offers up strong evidence, but I don't think they've refuted my basic argument. I guess I'm saying they make enough good points to convince me their cause could be true, but they haven't (in my opinion) knocked the support from underneath my argument. Further, I'm not talking about a point of fact -- that Decatur to Montgomery is a longer distance than Decatur to Nashville, for example. So basically I'm asking, "Is it irrational to admit an opinion (or viewpoint) is likely wrong, yet continue to hold said opinion?"

Okay, I know you're curious. What is the issue? Okay, it's Jimmy Stewart.

Rest of the World: He's one of the all-time best, absolute fabulous,
one-of-a-kind, gods of American film acting!

Me: Jimmy Stewart sucks!

Actually, that's an exaggeration of my position. I have no idea if Jimmy Stewart was a great actor because I never saw him ACT. No, he played the EXACT SAME GUY in (almost) every movie he ever made. Was he convincing as the bumbling, good-hearted, everyman? Sure, but that doesn't make him a great actor. I never thought that much of Clint Eastwood as an actor (though I did enjoy his movies) until he branched out beyond the westerns and the Dirty Harry movies. Still enough people that I trust have told me I'm flat out wrong on this, that I've begun to wonder if I'm not mistaken -- yet I'm not giving up my opinion of Jimmy Stewart as an actor!

So, help me out.

P.S. Please note that I'm not asking your opinion of Jimmy Stewart -- I already know what that'll be. [Though, of course, you're free to tell me just how wrong I am if you wish.] I'm looking for opinions as to whether this behavior can, in any way, be considered logical.

3 Comments:

At 9:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stella is with ya on this one. He is the same guy in every movie (not that I've watched many of his movies, mind you, as I usually didn't get into them--and that includes that Christmas one). Yes, I think you are logical. And that you trust your instincts. You're on the MF, so of course you can feel the Force flowing through you (I hope you're following my quotes here, even though I would be on the stupid baby5 ship). D&mn quiz.

 
At 10:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK, even though I happen to like Jimmy when I'm in the mood to watch an old black and white, overly optimistic, froo-froo movie, I have to say that if you have a strongly held belief or opinion to be steadfast. After all it's OK that you have different tastes in movies. Even if you are a single guy with two cats and a pretty flowering shrub! (Just had to get that in there.)

Cut the dead man a break he did play a bad guy early in his career (The Thin Man series). If I remember correctly that was his first role. When you are a really tall, skinny, white man during the 30's and 40's what do you expect? Let's face it he still looked like a gawky teen when he was 30!

 
At 10:08 AM, Blogger melusina said...

I am not sure it is irrational, after all, you are making the choice to hold that opinion, even if it might be wrong.

For me, I do that with Bono. I friggin' hate Bono. But I know he does good things for the world and his music ain't half bad. But I still can't stand the man.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home