Baseball, Books, and ... I need a third B

One guy's random thoughts on things of interest -- books, baseball, and whatever else catches my attention in today's hectic world.

Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Riddle me this

First, I'd like to apologize for the lack of blogging of late. I've been busier than a one-armed paper hanger. Sorry about that. Now for today's rant ...

As you know, last week I had to (er, got to) go to Montgomery for a distance learning conference. Surprisingly, some of it was pretty good. Given that it's that time of year, though, I battled a sinus/allergy headache every day I was there. Friday I was on my way home and what was a regular old headache threatened to become the headache (Stella, for one, knows the difference). For those of you who don't know -- a headache simply is a pain symptomatic of some other problem while THE headache is a condition unto itself, much more severe.

Anyway, the problem was bad enough that I decided to get off the interstate and buy a little "two pack" of some type of pain medication at a convenience store. I figured it didn't matter which store I picked as they all tend to have the same assortment of Advil, Tylenol, etc. The particular store I stopped at was different. I didn't even feel up to looking around, so I just asked the guy behind the counter if they had the little "2 packs" of pills. He told me that all they had were "headache powders" and he pointed behind the counter to show me.

First of all I was surprised that a modern convenience store just outside Montgomery would not have a full selection of Advil, Tylenol, etc. The actual selection of powders behind the counter, though, raised a much more serious question. I kid you not; this store had BC Powders, Goody's, AND Stanback Powders. Being a good TN boy, of course I chose BC Powders [Cool, there's even a Wikipedia entry for BCs.], but the bigger question (to me) was WHY? Why would a convenience store, with limited shelf space, carry THREE different headache powders and NO pain pills? I have to say, I'm stumped.

Okay, not much of a blog post, but I thought it was curious. Oh, potential good news, the Jeep guy hasn't called to cancel our appointment this afternoon. More later.

7 Comments:

At 4:53 PM, Blogger Becky said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 6:02 PM, Blogger St. Caffeine said...

Not funny, Becky. And hey, it's only TWO cats!

 
At 7:47 PM, Blogger Becky said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 7:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't worry about the cats (that's plural, cat-s) or the delightful flowering shrub, I was already counting you as one of my best girlfriends. Sorry to hear you got The Headache on your way home. That store must be the place of choice for those with hangover-headaches.
Bet that BC powder made you better though.

 
At 8:40 AM, Blogger St. Caffeine said...

No, Becky, I haven't disowned Porch Cat, but I don't feel I can rightfully claim him either, as I've never even been allowed to pet him.

Hey, Stella, remember a casual look through my closet is enough to disprove the whole "girlfriend" theory. If I want to work on my manly credibility, I could point out that I was responsible for breaking up your first marriage -- not really true, but he seemed to think so. Plus, it makes me sound manly and cad-like.

 
At 8:41 AM, Blogger St. Caffeine said...

Oh, and though I "made fun", BC Powders ARE the ultimate weapon against The Headache!

 
At 10:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Homewrecker. And he tried to be your friend, too. Well, actually, I think drinkin' buddy is more accurate, but still...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home