Baseball, Books, and ... I need a third B

One guy's random thoughts on things of interest -- books, baseball, and whatever else catches my attention in today's hectic world.

Monday, July 31, 2006

Monday, monday

Got a bit of a headache today, but I wanted to share a couple of quick notes.

First, I took a "coffee shop couple" geocaching on Saturday. If you're not a longtime reader of 3rd B, you might be asking, "What is geocaching?" According to the official website:
Geocaching is an entertaining adventure game for gps users. Participating in a cache hunt is a good way to take advantage of the wonderful features and capability of a gps unit. The basic idea is to have individuals and organizations set up caches all over the world and share the locations of these caches on the internet. GPS users can then use the location coordinates to find the caches. Once found, a cache may provide the visitor with a wide variety of rewards. All the visitor is asked to do is if they get something they should try to leave something for the cache.

It's hide-and-seek for nerds with tech toys. Regardless, I hadn't been in a few months and J&J wanted to go, so I figured we'd look for a couple. I'm always amazed at the new areas and "hidden" places I find while geocaching. This time we found a really old cemetery situated between I-65 and an exit ramp. Seriously, it's right on the interstate, yet none of us had ever seen it before. The headstones seemed to date back to the mid-19th century, though some of the oldest ones weren't readable. Anyway, here are the 4 we found if you're curious:
Forgotten Community -- the old cemetery one.
Oak Tree Bottom -- the most difficult find of the day.
The Star Chest -- Hartselle has an interesting policy for stray cats.
Concrete Creek -- less than a 1/2 mile from the house of another member of the coffee shop clique. We stopped in for iced tea afterwards.

Oh, here's something y'all might get a kick out of. Friday night we had a small "get together" for my retiring boss, yet my co-workers decided to get ME a present! It's a good thing I have a sense of humor.

Update: The "present" link above didn't work, so I changed it and it seems to be okay now -- if you were curious as to just what my present was.

1 Comments:

At 5:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

FYI, Derek is a Barbie character from way back! I can't believe I didn't remember him. He USED to be the macho groom-companion to the adorable Whitney Bride Doll. His face was narrower (more sensitive, maybe?) than the Robert Redford look-alike that Barbie was hanging with at the time.
Anyway, how nice that they got you a present. And he's making ladies shoes, hmmmm? Guess he and Whitney got divorced....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home