Baseball, Books, and ... I need a third B

One guy's random thoughts on things of interest -- books, baseball, and whatever else catches my attention in today's hectic world.

Wednesday, April 04, 2007

News of the day

I saw two interesting stories in this morning's paper. While they're not directly related, I think they do combine to make a point.

First, I saw that a woman in Sylvania (AL) has been charged with DUI while riding her horse. The money quote:
He [Police Chief Brad Gregg] said DUI charges can apply even when the vehicle has four legs instead of wheels.

Of a more personal interest, though, was the news that the AL House killed the bill to raise the maximum alcohol content of beer sold in the state. Currently the limit is at 6% and that precludes many "gourmet" or "specialty" beers from being sold in the state. According to Free the Hops, an organization dedicated to reforming AL's beer laws, 98 of the world's top 100 beers cannot be sold in Alabama because of the alcohol limit or a related limit on container size. Furthermore, AL is one of only 4 (I think) states that still have such limits.

I cannot say I was surprised by the result, but I was disappointed. Opponents offered the same old rationales:
"I can't see us doing something that's going to encourage people to drink more and get drunk faster," said Rep. DuWayne Bridges, D-Valley.

Bridges said the measure would increase the problem of teenagers drinking by making more potent brew available to them.

"Our children don't need to increase their alcohol consumption," Bridges said.
[...]
"The only thing this bill will do is just get our young people dead a whole lot faster," Laird [D-Roanoke] said.

So it's all about protecting out precious children, huh? Even if I overlook the very good arguments that the beers under discussion tend to be very strong tasting beers with rather high price tags that would not appeal to teens, I'm still amazed at the failure of these concerned legislators to follow through on their concerns about the kids.

If you really believe those arguments, then how in hell can you stand by while wine (with more than double the alcohol content of beer) is sold in the state? Even worse, what about hard liquor, commonly above 50% alcohol? Grr, it just pisses me off.

So how do these stories go together? People looking to get "messed up", whether it's a group of teens out on a Friday night or a woman riding her horse down the street at midnight, will find a way. The current prohibition on >6% beer imposes a far greater cost on those who enjoy specialty beers than I believe can be justified by any ephemeral reduction in bad behavior. I guess it's time to renew my membership in Free the Hops. If you care about such things, I encourage you to do the same. It's just $25 and you get a cool t-shirt.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home