Baseball, Books, and ... I need a third B

One guy's random thoughts on things of interest -- books, baseball, and whatever else catches my attention in today's hectic world.

Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Mini Trip

No, I'm not referencing a small hit of LSD, I'm talking about my annual summer baseball trek. This year the fates are conspiring against me so it looks as if I might not make the full, week long, trip. Seeing as how that might happen, Thailand Jeff and I took a quick trip to catch a couple of games last week.

We started with Memphis. In the 10 years since the Cards' AAA franchise returned to Memphis, I've been meaning to go. This, though, was the first time I've actually followed through on my intention. First let me say that every good thing I've heard about Autozone Park is true! It's a fabulous minor league stadium! Of course given the times, you can't just build a ballpark anymore. No, it has to be an entertainment experience. Unlike the park in Louisville, though, Memphis did it right. They have the extravagant entertainment zone, but it's kind of separated from the ballpark proper. In fact, I never saw the "fun zone", but Jeff told me it was there. I highly recommend a trip to Autozone.

Beyond the niceties of the park itself, we saw a fabulous game. The Redbirds pitchers took a no-hitter into the 8th inning until they gave up a 2-out single. I've never seen a no-hitter in person before and I'll admit that I was getting excited by the prospect. Even after losing the chance to see a no-hitter, the game was still exciting. In fact, it went to the bottom of the ninth tied 0-0. The Sacramento pitcher retired the first 2 Memphis batters and it looked like we were headed to extra innings. Then, though, he "lost the plate" and started walking guys. In fact, two Sacramento pitchers managed to walk the bases loaded and then one of the Redbirds managed to sneak a single into right to end the game 1-0. I no some people would think that was a boring game with no action, but it's my favorite kind of game.

Of course Memphis has more to offer than just baseball. After the game we headed down to the Beale Street area for some late night fun. Then the next day we went down to the River and had lunch at the famous Rendezvous rib place. Mmmmm.

Our second game was in Jackson, TN -- another place I've been meaning to go for a game. Pringles Park is very nice, but it doesn't compare to Autozone. The park itself is fine, but it's set out in the middle of a bunch of parking lots. Plus, your view beyond the outfield fences is a bunch of cars rushing by on the interstate. Not the best baseball backdrop. Still, ... The game itself was pretty good. It was another 0-0 affair until the 6th (I think) inning when one of the Diamond Jaxx hitters smashed a towering grand slam to bust the game open.

Given that Jackson doesn't offer the same post game entertainment options as Memphis, we figured we'd just head back to the hotel after the game. We did, though, decide to check out downtown Jackson, just in case. We weren't finding much downtown activity until we stumbled upon some kind of Friday night street festival around the square. A fairly decent R&B group was set up on some kind of temporary stage and Jeff and I joined the approximately 100 or so spectators for an hour or so. It was kind of fun.

Finally, we made our way home. On the way, though, we had two stops to make. First, we stopped in Selmer to visit Cousin Becca (the potter). Then we made a visit to the Shiloh Battlefield Park. I hadn't been in about 10 years and I was afraid it had been ruined by some NPS "enlightened reinterpretation", but it was still pretty much the way I remembered it. The think I like about Shiloh (as opposed to some, such as Appomattox Courthouse) is that you can visit the actual sites and get a sense of the battles -- the scope, the terrain, etc. Of course Bloody Pond always sends chills up my spine. Regardless, if you haven't been to Shiloh, and you're in the area, it's well worth a trip.

Much as I hate to think about it, that may be my summer vacation. Though classes don't start back until the 20th, I have to report for "meetings and such" the whole week before that. I'm not looking forward to it, but at least I'm not being stalked by my obsessed student any longer -- at least as far as I know!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home