Baseball, Books, and ... I need a third B

One guy's random thoughts on things of interest -- books, baseball, and whatever else catches my attention in today's hectic world.

Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Movie vs. book

When there's a movie based on a book, I usually come down FIRMLY on the side of the book. On occasion, though, there are times when I think both simply are wonderful (e.g., Breakfast at Tiffany's and Breakfast at Tiffany's). There are even rare occasions when I think the movie is better (e.g., Field of Dreams really was superior to Shoeless Joe).

Sometimes, though, the movie is so different from the book, it's pointless to compare the two. What brought this on? Some months ago I saw the movie, Children of Men -- based on the book by P.D. James. Yes, I said P.D. James.

I saw the movie because I was intrigued by the story and the critics loved it. Not only did they love it, they praised it for things I usually enjoy in movies. Regardless, I saw it and I enjoyed it -- though not nearly as much as I'd been led to believe I would. The other day I was in my school's library and I ran across a copy of the book. I figured I'd read the book and see how it held up. Well it turns out the book is MUCH different! The basic story -- the world is dying because no one on the planet has had a baby in close to 30 years -- and character names are the same, but that's where the similarities end. I find it hard even to say the movie was based on the book. I think it's one of those cases where they should have claimed "inspired by" rather than "based on," but maybe that's just me.

Anyway, ... The book is fabulous. Though there is an "action story" to keep things moving, the "theme" of the book seems to be how people and society change once they have no future to live for. It's not just that individuals don't have heirs to bequest their riches to, it's that society itself realizes there is nothing to work toward. I found it chilling and engrossing. Don't let the fact that it's a P.D. James book throw you; read this book.

Also of note in movies, I just recently saw Lost in Translation and I thought it was every bit as good as claimed. It did drag for a while, but the final 30 minutes or so saved the movie. I don't know if it was as good as Sofia Coppola's directorial debut (The Virgin Suicides -- another one where the movie might have been better than the book), but it was well worth watching.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home