Baseball, Books, and ... I need a third B

One guy's random thoughts on things of interest -- books, baseball, and whatever else catches my attention in today's hectic world.

Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Good news/bad news

Super busy right now, but I did want to link to this editorial in the NY Times:

Voters on Sunday gave a split decision to two of the world’s most prominent and problematic authoritarian leaders. Russia’s president, Vladimir Putin, turned a parliamentary election into a referendum on himself and cynically manipulated a huge victory, undermining what was left of the independence of the Duma and Russian politics. In Venezuela, President Hugo Chávez’s latest and most outrageous power grab was rejected at the ballot box, offering hope that political competition there will now flourish.

Though I found parts of the piece a little "fluffy", it was a quick link that touched on both of the foreign elections (or maybe "election" in the case of Russia). Though long run I think Putin may be a bigger problem, short term I was more pleased by the defeat of Chavez's proposals.

Though I think Putin is dangerous, I at least think he's a smart, savvy, wily guy. Chavez, on the other hand, strikes me as simply nuts! He runs around the world insulting leaders he disagrees with and then threatens to take his ball home if anyone challenges him. Seriously, the guy threatened to nationalize Venezuelan branches of Spanish banks if King Juan Carlos didn't apologize for telling Chavez to shut up. He's like the kid with the rich dad who thinks he gets to make all the rules. I never liked that kid and I don't particularly care for Hugo.

Well back to work. I have to figure out how to teach hyposthesis testing in my last remaining day of class. Sigh.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home