Baseball, Books, and ... I need a third B

One guy's random thoughts on things of interest -- books, baseball, and whatever else catches my attention in today's hectic world.

Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Tickle me kindle

I know there've been multiple attempts to produce and market a functional, user-friendly electronic book reader and I've been skeptical of them all. Most importantly, I HATE reading long documents on a computer screen and I can't imagine reading a whole book that way. Given that, I have to admit that I'm intrigued by the kindle.

I haven't seen one in person, but I'm really excited by the "paper-like" reading screen. They claim no backlit, eye fatigue inducing computer screen. The best I understand, the screen is imbedded with actual ink particles that rearrange themselves to represent each new page. I may have misunderstood that, but it sounds way cool to me.

I'm still skeptical, but I have a perhaps irrational level of optimism for this product -- primarily because it's being pushed by the Amazon guy. It's hard to argue with his track record. While I'm almost never an early adopter, I'd be tempted by this product. If not for the price. I just can't see dropping $400 on it. Once they figure out the PDF thing and its price drops 25-50%, though; well I might just jump on board. Mostly I just hope the initial version is successful enough to spawn a version 2.0.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home