Baseball, Books, and ... I need a third B

One guy's random thoughts on things of interest -- books, baseball, and whatever else catches my attention in today's hectic world.

Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Okay, okay, ...

Yes, it's been quite a while since I shared my thoughts, feelings, and pearls of wisdom. Due to popular demand -- actually 2 people -- I'm back. I feel a bit like one of those washed up rock stars, reduced to playing local festivals and being lured back on stage for an encore by the two devoted fans who drove hours to see you play. So what to write about in my return to blogging?

How about my crazy family?

For those of you who do not know, I come from a really large (extended) family. Not only are we a large bunch, but we're "colorful" as well. Further, most members of this large, colorful bunch actually like each other and enjoy spending time together. That means we plan, attend, and even enjoy frequent family get togethers.

Now, though, my Uncle Al has jumped the shark. Several years ago, Al developed an interest in genealogy. He's traced the family back a pretty long way and, surprisingly, no horrible surprises have fallen off the tree. A couple of years ago, he managed to locate a branch of the family centered somewhere in North Carolina. He made contact and even went up to visit a bunch of them last year. Then he decided it'd be fun if a bunch of them came down to TN to experience the Caffeine family, in its TN form, in all our glory. Well this past weekend was the big event.

Actually there were two events. First, on Friday night there was a "meet and greet" at some hotel in Florence, where all the "foreign" Caffeines were staying. I, of course, did not attend that. However, I didn't really see an easy way to get out of the BIG EVENT on Saturday. We were throwing a pig roasting at the cabin, similar to our 4th of July thing, for the NC Caffeines. Okay, I could have refused to go, but that just seemed rude -- especially in a family that puts great stock in attending gatherings. So I went.

I knew I was in trouble as soon as I walked up to the cabin. My cousin, Tara, met me before I got anywhere close to the main action to give me my name tag. Let me repeat. NAME TAG! This, by the way, was not some ordinary "Hello, my name is ____" name tag. No, this was a professionally printed name tag -- with my name and home town, a string to go around my neck, a picture of the cabin in the background, and a color-coded box to indicate which "branch" of the Caffeine tree I belonged to. Then I noticed Ma Caffeine's name tag looked a little different. It was the same basic design, but her color-coded box, while the same color, was only outlined in color. Turns out that was an intentional feature to show she only married into the Caffeines. Wow! Did I mention -- NAME TAGS?!?!

I thought it couldn't get any richer than that. I was wrong. After getting some food and visiting with various cousins ...
An aside: While I appreciate the spirit of the venture, the application sort of fell flat. I noticed that while there were two large branches, and one smaller one, in attendance, most everyone was sitting with and only talking to people in their own lines. So it was a good effort, but I don't think it accomplished what Uncle Al hoped.
Back to my story ... I was visiting with some of my (known) cousins when I heard a motor of some sort start up out in the woods below the cabin. Someone had cranked up the portable generator. See the cabin does not have electricity (or running water or cell phone service or ...). It's a cabin. Some uncle, though, did bring a generator over once upon a time, just in case there was ever a dire need for power. Well when I heard the thing crank up on Saturday, I couldn't imagine what it was for. Then I saw this ponytailed guy walking around holding an open laptop computer and a small camera in his hand.

We were being broadcast, via a live feed, on the internet!!! Yes, the Caffeine family's gathering was being uploaded and viewed (by the unfortunate Caffeines who could not attend?) in real time on the web! How bizarre is that? However bizarre you think it is, it's more bizarre. Unless, of course, you know the (extended) Caffeine family, in which case you may not be that surprised. I was flabbergasted. Seriously.

So anyhow, that was my weekend. I don't know that I'll ever view a family gathering the same way from now on. Name tags and a live feed on the net. Who'd have thunk?

P.S. For the entertainment of my many dedicated readers I've tried to find a link to the reunion, but it seems to be well hidden. Hmm, I'll have to ask one of my more informed cousins. I'll let y'all know if I find it.

1 Comments:

At 12:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Berrys go hi-tech! I never thought I'd live to see the day. Great story! Glad you're back!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home