Baseball, Books, and ... I need a third B

One guy's random thoughts on things of interest -- books, baseball, and whatever else catches my attention in today's hectic world.

Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Word verification

Super busy today, so no time for a rant. Just wanted to alert those few of you who are kind enough to share comments, I finally had to break down and turn on word verification. If you're not familiar with that, it's just like what you do when ordering tickets online. Before you can leave a comment, you have to type in a word that appears at the bottom of the screen. Yeah, it's a bit of a hassle, but I got fed up with all the comment spam.

In the meantime, just in case you're cruising the net with nothing to do:

Check out the Monty Hall problem. We're discussing this in stats on Thursday. I'm hoping to get the students fired up about it, but I figure it'll be greeted with blanket indifference. Your chance of winning really does increase if you switch.

This year's Ig Nobel winners have been announced. My favorite is the guy who makes and sells artificial testicles for dogs that have been altered. I guess it helps with their self esteem. Still, I don't think you can beat last year's winner who studied the effect of country music on suicide.

I'll be back to ranting tomorrow.

3 Comments:

At 3:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Monty Hall game sounds like fun. I have to admit that I'm a bit jealous. We didn't play any games when you introduced game theory to us. OK enough whining! We played with Dr. Schnell. Seriously, good luck getting you class "fired up".

 
At 4:34 PM, Blogger St. Caffeine said...

Good to have you back, Crystal. Was beginning to worry about you. Though I might have to send out a search party.

 
At 11:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you might have had trouble finding me even with your GPS thingy-ma-bob. This week is MY hell week. Three mid-terms and I still have to deal with Big Ted.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home