Baseball, Books, and ... I need a third B

One guy's random thoughts on things of interest -- books, baseball, and whatever else catches my attention in today's hectic world.

Friday, February 10, 2006

Books, books, books

As you may remember, the Decatur Library has really good book sales. Well this weekend they're having another one. I shudder to think of what will happen, but I reckon I'm going. Anyone have any requests? Things you'd like me to look for for you, suggestions of things I might like, books you'd like me to buy and destroy so as to prevent some innocent soul from going through the pain of reading them, etc. I don't know when exactly I'll be going, but I welcome any input.

Note later in the day:
I almost hate to do this, but I have to put in a good word for the Amazon Prime service. If you shop at Amazon, I'm sure you've seen this. Basically, you pay $79 (I think) a year and you get free 2-day shipping for every order, regardless of size, and $3.99 overnight shipping. I was ordering something a few weeks ago and Amazon offered me a free 3-month trial. This appealed to me for two reasons:
  1. It was free!
  2. I hate the fact that when I want to order one item I usually end up ordering more stuff just so I can get the free "super saver" shipping.

So, anyway, I figured I'd give it a shot. While I don't think I'll "pony up" the $79 once my free trial expires, I have been impressed. I've taken advantage of the free 2-day shipping for gifts for two folks -- one in MS and one in AL -- and both items have arrived THE VERY NEXT DAY! Yes, you read that right. I ordered the items one day and they were delivered the next day. Seriously, that level of service might be worth $79 a year. Nah, I'm too cheap, but it's nice while it lasts.

6 Comments:

At 10:26 AM, Blogger melusina said...

Ah, try House of God by Samuel Shem if you can find it. I think I've recommended it before.

I just ordered some more books including two Philip K. Dick novels. We'll see if I like him.

 
At 8:32 AM, Blogger St. Caffeine said...

Sorry, Mel, book sale is over. I'll probably blog about my purchases today, but I don't remember seeing House of God. I also don't remember you recommending it (to me at least) before, but that doesn't prove anything.

By the way, I like the Philip K.Dick novels, but I don't obsess over them as some fanatics do. Then again, that's the same reaction I have to Asimov's Foundation books -- interesting, but they didn't change my life.

 
At 12:39 PM, Blogger melusina said...

Yea, I enjoy the sci fi genre, but I'm not a fanatic. I guess I still don't consider most from the genre to be "great" books.

Oh, I meant to mention this before. Play.com (in your case playusa.com) has free shipping on everything (books, DVDs, etc). I use the British version and have been very satisfied, although it does take a tad bit longer for things to arrive. Might be a good option for you if you just wanted to order one thing.

 
At 12:40 PM, Blogger melusina said...

Oh crap, I just noticed the USA version doesn't yet have anything but DVDs! Well, I'll keep an eye out and if they branch out to books I'll let ya know.

 
At 3:40 PM, Blogger St. Caffeine said...

Hmm, I'll have to check out "play" once they get books. I tell you, though, the Amazon Prime is impressing me more and more. I'm seriously thinking it may be worth $79 a year. I'll have to do the math and figure out just how many shipments it'd take to add up to $79 at normal shipping rates. I'm a nerd; I'll admit it.

 
At 8:09 AM, Blogger melusina said...

We don't have that kind of opportunity with Amazon.uk, no free super saving shipping either. That is why play.com is such a boon - the shipping costs on books was *really* starting to add up.

My husband keeps musing "I found a woman who doesn't spend her money on clothes and makeup, but she breaks the bank on books". Sheesh, we all gotta buy SOMETHING!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home