Baseball, Books, and ... I need a third B

One guy's random thoughts on things of interest -- books, baseball, and whatever else catches my attention in today's hectic world.

Tuesday, November 08, 2005

More books, dang it

Well it looks as if my claim to be the stupidest person on the planet is safe! Why? I went to the used book sale at the Decatur library last week. First, let me remind everyone that I had absolutely no need for more books. I've already got a stack that I'm trying to get through and I've got a bunch of work-related stuff to get through, but I couldn't resist.

I tend to shop a lot at the Decatur library's used book annex and I can't quite decide what the selection of available books says about Decatur's reading habits. On the one hand, I almost always find a non-best seller book or two that really interest me and that makes me think Decatur is a "good reading" town. On the other hand, someone is giving up those great books so that makes me think Decatur is not a "good reading" town. As discussed in the book snob posts, maybe Decatur is a good book buying town, but not a good book reading town. Regardless, I'm pleased that I'm able to find good books cheap. So what did I buy?

I only spent $2 and I didn't see another copy of The Secret History, but I did manage to get some pretty good books:

  1. A hardcover copy of The Stand. I used to read some Stephen King and I've always been told that The Stand really is a good book. The problem, though, is that it's approximately 1200 pages and I knew I'd never get through that during a checkout period. I could have bought a copy, but the cheap copies tend to be the mass market paperback and once I managed to read that version of Atlas Shrugged, I swore I'd never read another huge book in that format. Hence, I figured a nice hardback copy was worth 50 cents.
  2. An old, oversized copy of The Great Gatsby. I've had my old, mass market copy with the blue cover for years, but this was an older (bigger margins) version.
  3. The Dogs of Babel (suggested by Anonymous during the last round of book posts). I'll let you know what I think once I get around to it.
  4. Herzog, by Saul Bellow. Got to love Saul and I think this was his best.
  5. A big, oversized copy of Cryptonomicon, by Neal Stephenson. I've read lots of his stuff and this is supposed to be his magnum opus. I once read about 2/3 of this book, but like The Stand, I ran out of time. Now I have my own copy so I figure I'll make it through it.

Yep, that was my $2 worth of books. Oh, I saw a couple of Ellen Gilchrist books, but I've already got just about everything she's written. Still, I hated to see them sitting there available for 25 cents each. I ended up sort of forcing them on a woman that was looking at the same table. In my defense, I just pointed them out to her and suggested she read the back covers to see if they sounded interested. I told her that Ellen is one of those "modern Southern female" writers and she said she reads a lot of that stuff, so she just picked them up on my recommendation. Caffeine Brother asked what the woman looked like, but I promise that was not my motivation. I simply wanted someone to pick up those Ellen books so I wouldn't have to. Full disclosure, though, she was a comely lass -- though it went no further than a book recommendation, I promise!

Oh, to make my reading life even more hectic, The Decatur Daily has decided to let me back into their book reviewing clique. I had a conspiracy theory that they were freezing me out since I eviscerated a novel by Marshall Boswell, but evidently they haven't blackballed me. Nope, they are letting me review The Moral Consequences of Economic Growth. Now think a minute about how dull this book sounds. Done that? Well it's even drier than you'd imagine! The author has a very basic premise, but he takes 486 pages to present it. I'll let you know more when I finish it, but it's not promising right now.

Okay, I'll get off the book posting for a while. Right now, though, I have to get to work on a test for tomorrow.

7 Comments:

At 12:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What is a "comely lass?" Is that good or bad? Attractive or ugly?

 
At 1:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tell me, Caff, at what point in your life where you brainwashed to the point that buying The Secret History? Seriously, if you have a copy I'd like to borrow it. I don't dare buy another book I have too many to move back to AZ as it is.

Ang, he thought she was cute! I'm glad the motivation was more than just a love of Ellen Gilchrist books ;).

 
At 1:30 PM, Blogger St. Caffeine said...

come·ly (adj.): Pleasing and wholesome in appearance; attractive.
lass (n. ): A girl or young woman.

 
At 1:39 PM, Blogger St. Caffeine said...

Crystal, I'm sure you can get a copy of The Secret History at your local library, but you are welcome to borrow (one of) mine. I must, though, threaten you with severe bodily harm if you try to run off to AZ with my book! Seriously, I'll hunt you down and cut you, man!

 
At 1:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

They do have one but it is always out. I think someone stole it. Oooo with that threat how could I possibly think of taking it with me? On the other hand I may have some books to give you when I leave. I still have to go through them and find out which ones I cannot leave behind. I do not relish the idea of going through them all. I email you a list of the ones I'm going to get rid of so that you can take what you want. Thanks for the loan.

 
At 8:06 PM, Blogger melusina said...

I am just days away from being able to place a massive book order with Amazon.uk
Well, actually I'll end up ordering from Play.com because they don't charge delivery fees, even all the way to Greece.

So far, I KNOW I am going to order In Cold Blood (a friend has been suggesting it for years and I always forget, and with that Capote movie out I figured it was time) and The Stand (never read it, people love it, I'm way too curious). What else I will order I am not yet sure of, because I have about 100 books on my wish list, and that isn't everything I want, either. I will die still wanting books, I am certain of that.

My husband won't let me read Gatsby anymore. "His dream must have been so close he could hardly fail to grasp it" (or something to that effect) gets me every time. And then I feel silly for crying over a book I've read twenty zillion times. My husband doesn't like it when I cry over books, because he doesn't know how to fix it. You can't fix the words when they are too perfect. You just gotta let it flow.

 
At 9:42 PM, Blogger St. Caffeine said...

Mel, I agree about Gatsby, though not to the point of tears.

As for The Stand, make sure you get the "right" version. Evidently the original version was cut to 823 or so pages. Later, after Stephen King became famous, he talked them into releasing the full, uncut version. My 50 cent copy is the original, cut version and I'm miffed. I figure if I'm going to put that much work into a book, I don't want to read a condensed book.

Oh, I recently read In Cold Blood and I was very disappointed with it. That's just my opinion though, treat it as if it's worth what you paid.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home