Baseball, Books, and ... I need a third B

One guy's random thoughts on things of interest -- books, baseball, and whatever else catches my attention in today's hectic world.

Thursday, February 23, 2006

Check the temperature in Hades?

Man, I never thought I'd see this! Alan Dershowitz and Bill Bennett writing a column together -- what the @#$%?!?! Yeah, I know y'all are tired of the whole cartoon debate. I am too, but it just won't go away.

Sorry blogging has been light of late. It's just been a really busy week. I had scads of tests and bunches of other stuff to take care of. An aside, ... I gave and graded the stats II test. This test covered hypothesis testing (1 and 2 sample) and one way ANOVA, so it's not the easiest stuff in the world. Hence, I was pleasantly surprised when the class average (mean and median were pretty close) was about 78%. I told the students this and they started laughing. I didn't understand so I asked if they were laughing because they thought the average would be a lot worse (they seemed to react badly the day of the test). No, they said, they were laughing about the fact that I thought a 78 average was "pretty darned good". I don't get that. Is grade inflation really so rampant that students expect the class AVERAGE to be a B or an A on a test? Seriously, I know I have different expectations than the students, but this sort of shocked me. Okay, I won't go off on another grade inflation rant, just wanted to share.

Anyway, blogging has been light, but I'm off on a road trip this weekend. A little girl in Jackson is hoping we'll get to go "treasure hunting" (aka geocaching). I'll let y'all know how it goes next week.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home