Baseball, Books, and ... I need a third B

One guy's random thoughts on things of interest -- books, baseball, and whatever else catches my attention in today's hectic world.

Thursday, April 06, 2006

Men vs. Women

Now y'all know I've been a bit "down" on women of late, but I honestly do like women -- probably better than men (no snide sexual preference innuendos here). In fact, most of the readers (that I know about) of this blog are female. There ARE, however, differences between the sexes and it'd be silly to claim otherwise. Melusina complains about remote controls, but I've got a bigger fish to fry -- the toilet seat issue!

You know the basic issue, so there's no need for me to explain the problem. This issue came up the other night at the local coffee shop where I was "enjoying" the vocal performance of a folk/reggae/gospel group from Trinidad or Tonga or somewhere similarly exotic (a blog post in and of itself). Anyway, one of my coffee pals, we'll call her Frannie, went off on the usual rant: Why can't men just put the stupid seat down? Now contrarian that I am, I couldn't let that pass.

"Why," I asked, "is it assumed that it's the man's duty to put the seat in the position most desired by the female? Why shouldn't the female be considerate and lift the seat UP after use to make the male's next trip more convenient?"

You can imagine the shock and awe that generated. You'd have thought I'd drawn a cartoon of a prohibited religious figure! But I wasn't completely satisfied. No, I then decided to pour some gasoline on the fire. I pointed out that an economist at Michigan State had tried to solve the problem, but she wouldn't like his conclusion (trust me, NO need to read the paper):


I show that the "selfish" or the "status quo" rule that leaves the toilet seat in the position used dominates the down rule in a wide range of parameter spaces including the case where the inconvenience costs are the same.

In actuality, though, my favorite analysis of the seat problem is this tongue-in-cheek game theoretic approach. The "first best" solution:


In the morning John [the man] leaves the seat up after performing #1. In the evening he puts it down.

As I said, I didn't expect my "scientific" evidence to win me much support and it did not. Instead Frannie became even more agitated. She then went off on how GROSS it is to have to put the seat down. "First," she said, "you have to barely grasp the seat with two fingers, lower it, wash your hands, then use the bathroom, and finally wash your hands all over again!"

Now that seemed a little obsessive to me, but it did raise a question. I could understand her doing that with a public toilet, but wouldn't all the public toilets she used have the seats down already (I was assuming she only used women's toilets)? "Frannie," I asked, "do you mean you even go through all that at home?" "Yes," she said, "it's just GROSS to have to touch the toilet seat!" Now I had her: "That means you are asking men to perform a task that you, even at home, find repulsive! You say that you won't even touch the toilet seat at home, yet you expect men to put it down after each use! Where's the justice in that?" She had no answer.

Mind you, I have no illusion that I "won" the argument or changed Frannie's opinion a whit. No, I realize this is an ingrained "right/wrong" issue that will never change. I'm actually reminded of my friend, Karen, from grad school. She was ranting one day about her dad. "He NEVER puts the seat down. Even after all these years when I've practically fallen in the bowl in the middle of the night, HE still hasn't learned!" I couldn't resist pointing out to Karen that it might not be her dad who was slow to learn! "Hey, Karen, look before you sit!"

P.S. Full disclosure: Since I have cats and I don't want them drinking from the toilet, I always put the seat and the lid down so this is not an issue for me. Further, I always put the seat down in other settings just because it seems to be the "right" thing to do -- I've been indoctrinated. I just wanted to point out the lack of logic in Frannie's argument.

6 Comments:

At 9:50 AM, Blogger Vol Abroad said...

How come you don't want the cats to drink from the toilet? seems much easier than filling their water bowl

 
At 11:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's really quite simple. It's incumbent upon the men to put the toilet seat down because if they don't women might "fall in." If women forget to put the seat up, there's no danger of the man falling in.

 
At 12:21 PM, Blogger St. Caffeine said...

I don't know, Vol, it just seems gross.

Ang: This is the point I was making to Karen. Seems to me y'all would have a VERY big incentive to check for yourself BEFORE you sit.

 
At 1:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, this is true. But sometimes a woman is in just that much of a hurry or sometimes it's the middle of the night and the woman is half asleep and it's pitch black dark. I knew you (a man) would make this point and you are not entirely wrong but there are sometimes extenuating circumstances.

 
At 3:12 PM, Blogger melusina said...

So your friend thinks touching the toilet seat with her hands is gross but she doesn't mind touching it with her ass?

At any rate, it isn't an issue in our house. Like you, we keep the seat and lid down to keep the cats away from the toilet. Not that I really mind them drinking from the toilet (although drinking from a Greek toilet would be difficult, the water level is so low), but one of our cats is so small she could get sucked in by accident.

Also, keeping the lid down seems most polite for when there is company. Plus it keeps water spewed from the faucet from falling all over the seat.

 
At 11:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

First, poor woman that you would saddle her with the name of "Frannie". That's nearly as bad as "Fannie".

Second, I must agree with Mel! Where she (Frannie) would have to take a complete shower in order to rid her ass of the dreaded germs she is afraid of touching with her had, I would think that it would be a little more convenient to wash your hands twice.

But then again I only think it fair that men put down the seat when they are finished using it simply because it generally falls to the woman (that said man is living with) to clean said toilet. I really don't think that it's a lot to ask that he spend a few extra seconds to PUT DOWN THE DAMN SEAT!

I could go into the dangers of small children drowning it the toilet but I think you get the point.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home