Baseball, Books, and ... I need a third B

One guy's random thoughts on things of interest -- books, baseball, and whatever else catches my attention in today's hectic world.

Monday, April 03, 2006

Opening Day

It breaks your heart. It is designed to break your heart. The game begins in spring, when everything else begins again, and it blossoms in the summer, filling the afternoons and evenings, and then as soon as the chill rains come, it stops and leaves you to face the fall alone. ~A. Bartlett Giamatti

Don't tell me about the world. Not today. It's springtime and they're knocking baseballs around fields where the grass is damp and green in the morning and the kids are trying to hit the curve ball. ~Pete Hamill

Finally, it is Opening Day once more! I couldn't find the quote I was looking for -- something about making it through March and knowing you'll survive another year -- but those two will do just fine. Note that, in my opinion, Opening Day is today -- Monday -- not Sunday night! I must admit to taking a little evil pleasure in the fact that the MLB/ESPN created Sunday night opener featured an almost 3 hour rain delay. Hey MLB/ESPN, real baseball fans know the season doesn't really open until 1:10 Central time today when Aaron Harang throws the first pitch in Cincinnati!

Still, baseball is back and fans of all 30 teams can, for a while, dream of winning The Series -- though realistically everyone knows the Cardinals will win it this year, right? I had an erudite tribute planned for today's post. It was going to feature many of American's greatest philopsophers: Walt Whitman, Bill Veeck, Yogi Berra, etc. While checking other blogs this morning, however, I saw I'd been scooped by Melusina again. Damn Mel and her 8 hour head start! Oh well, I'll let her wax poetic on the game:

1983 was the year I got to meet Rick Dempsey, and I saw Eddie Murray’s ass in the O’s locker room. By the time ol’ easy out Cal beat the consecutive games record in 1995, baseball was all but over for me. Strikes had left a stale taste in my mouth, and interleague play in 1997 left me cold. I watched a handful of baseball games before I moved out of the U.S. in 2002, and I haven’t seen one since.

Still, I can’t help but feel a gentle stirring in my heart when spring days grow warm. In the distance I imagine the crack of the bat, the cheer of the crowd, the excitement of a player sliding into home. I can smell the hotdogs, the spilled beer, and Boog Powell’s barbecue. If I close my eyes I can see Camden Yards opening up before me, the Bromoseltzer clock tower poised ahead. One breath and I can feel the excitement as the game begins. Baseball has a mystical, ethereal quality that is inexplicable. No other sport has had so many legends and myths surrounding it. No other sport feels the way baseball feels – the sounds, the smells, the aura. I do miss baseball, although it will never feel the same as it did on a cool summer evening in 1983.

Well said, Mel.

Seriously, folks: Watch a game, drink a beer, eat a dog; life isn't so bad. Play Ball!

5 Comments:

At 12:36 PM, Blogger melusina said...

Just because I scooped ya doesn't mean you can't wax poetic on baseball anyway!
That's one of the magic things about baseball, it inspires. I don't see how some people don't get it.

Now the decision is whether or not to pay $$$ to get MLB feeds on the internet. Somehow, it isn't the same though.

 
At 3:17 PM, Blogger St. Caffeine said...

I have to agree with you on the internet baseball thing. I will say, though, I think it might be worthwhile if it's the individual teams' radio broadcasts. Watching games on the net just seems wrong, but I just love listening to play-by-play from those old radio guys.

A couple of years ago I started getting the MLB season package from DISH Network. The main reason I did that was so I could watch the Cards rather than just the Braves (TBS), Cubs (WGN), and Yankees or Red Sox (ESPN). I do love watching the Cards, but the best part might be that I get to listen to Vin Scully doing Dodger games. To me Vin is the voice of baseball. He IS baseball. Anyway, that's my opinion.

 
At 5:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey! Don't knock watching Baseball on the net. I can watch anywhere! Besides not all of us get DISH and don't have much of a choice! The biggest part is of course I can watch baseball ANYWHERE, ANYTIME, AND OVER AND OVER IF I SO CHOOSE!

(of course I was busted in class, oops)

 
At 11:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I must admit (though it pains me to do so) the last time I had a hot dog (not a soydog) was at a baseball game. Got caught up in the spirit and couldn't help myself. B.b.v.b, but still pretty good with that huge beer. Matter o' fact, I think you were there, swilling beer in the seat to my right....

 
At 7:26 AM, Blogger St. Caffeine said...

Ah, Stella, good to have you back. Yes, I know hot dogs are b.b.v.b. in your crazy world, but they don't really count if they're stadium dogs, right? Maybe I can corrupt you again at some point this season -- first one's free!

BTW, Stella, call me! I've been trying to track you down via phone, email, smoke signal, etc. Now I'll call you out in blog comments and see if this works.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home