Baseball, Books, and ... I need a third B

One guy's random thoughts on things of interest -- books, baseball, and whatever else catches my attention in today's hectic world.

Friday, March 17, 2006

Feel Good Story

Happy St. Pat's Day to all. I am wearing a smidge of green, though that was unintentional. Anyway, here's a feel good story that's been getting a lot of press in Decatur of late.

A few weeks ago some sorry excuse for a human being (Stella would call him an "oxygen thief") dumped a near dead dog in a garbage dumpster. The dog was horribly wounded, covered in blood, and the oxygen thief actually taped the dog's snout shut with duct tape so he wouldn't make any noise. Somehow the dog was found by a city worker and since Decatur has a "plan of action" for wounded animals, he was quickly taken to a local vet who treated him for free. Soon word of Lucky (as the dog was dubbed) spread and a reward fund was established. The fund grew to 15 or 16 thousand dollars and, of course, that much money led to tips and now an arrest.

As for Lucky, he seems to be doing okay. Speculation is that he was wounded so badly by being used as "bait" to train fighting dogs. He had to have one leg amputated, but from all reports he's recovering and he's even started interacting with people now. Of course there are scads of folks who have volunteered to adopt Lucky. That's good, but it's also a little sad. There are MANY animals out there in need of a home. So what if you can't adopt Lucky? Adopt your own Lucky and give an animal a home. Still, I'm rather pleased they seem to have found the oxygen thief AND it appears that he faces some fairly stiff punishment -- not what he deserves, but more than I expected. Of course he is just accused right now, but I found it funny that the guy felt the need to cover his face as he was led into jail. I'm sure he NEVER thought he'd be caught and he never imagined he'd face this level of public hatred if he were caught. HA!

Anyway, that's my feel good story of the day. Oh, here's another Lucky story with more details of his recovery.

P.S. Spring Break starts today! I'm off to Oxford, MS to see Lucinda Williams in concert tonight and I plan to go camping a couple of nights next week! I'm sure many adventures await, but I'm gonna' try not to fall in the creek or get attacked by wild hogs! Wish me luck.

1 Comments:

At 4:50 PM, Blogger melusina said...

It is a good story but it still made me cry.

Enjoy Lucinda!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home