Baseball, Books, and ... I need a third B

One guy's random thoughts on things of interest -- books, baseball, and whatever else catches my attention in today's hectic world.

Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Today's biggest disappointment, so far

I read an op-ed piece in the paper this morning about the resurgence of "end time" movements and a general increase in people claiming to have seen signs of the apocalypse. I dismissed the piece, but that was before I read THIS! Derek Jeter now has his own cologne! Made by Avon! [Yes, dear readers, I said "cologne" and "Avon".]

Since he plays in the accursed American League, I knew he likely had some tendencies toward communism, baby eating, puppy kicking, etc., but Derek -- say it ain't so. Alas, it is so. As I read the AP story, each paragraph just made it worse. By the end I wanted to poke my eyes out with a sharp stick.
Derek Jeter cologne is on the way — and it's called Driven. The scent is designed to capture ambition, courage, passion and confidence, said Avon Products Inc., which partnered with the New York Yankees shortstop to develop the signature men's fragrance.

Okay, I've recovered from the mere idea of a baseball player peddling his own fragrance. What is Driven going to smell like?
It's a blend of crushed leaves, black pepper, chilled grapefruit, rhubarb, lavender, spearmint, bamboo, driftwood and oak moss, the company said.

EGAD! Chilled grapefruit?!?! How, pray tell, does the scent of chilled grapefruit differ from that of room temperature grapefruit? What about really cold grapefruit? Seriously, this is too much. Okay, though, maybe Jeter is just putting his name on the product. I mean I really don't think Reggie Jackson cooked up the formula for the Reggie candy bar in the 70s. Well, ... Nope:
Jeter was involved throughout the development process, and he's the face of the fragrance in print ads.

"I knew what I wanted. I didn't want it to overtake a room," Jeter, 32, told The Associated Press in an interview Tuesday. "I wanted it to be clean and sophisticated."

C'mon, Derek, you're not making this easy for me. Clean and sophisticated? Aww man. There may be no crying in baseball, but evidently smelling nice is important. I think I'm going to have to go rest a spell. I feel an attack of the vapors coming on.

2 Comments:

At 12:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK you forced me into this, twisted my arm to the breaking point! So here it goes:

Do you not have enough to do? Listening to whiney students complain about why they could make a particular test time because their unreliable baby-sitter decided to go on a hell bent drinking binge or their spouses came down with an exotic disease like lumpy skin, a little on the outs for you? Come now, you must realize that Mr. Jeter doesn't make a high enough income playing professional baseball. Pbbbt who could be satisified with a multi-million dollar bank account!?!

As for "chilled grapefruit" smelling different from room temperature well of course it does! Smell is a vapor (snicker)and coldness inhibits the oils in the grapefruit from converting into vapor (snicker). Therefore, chilled grapefruit has a less intense scent.

Silly rabbit! You are always good for a belly-roll!

 
At 4:32 PM, Blogger melusina said...

Well, at least it doesn't have an asinine name like P.Diddy's fragrance.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home