Baseball, Books, and ... I need a third B

One guy's random thoughts on things of interest -- books, baseball, and whatever else catches my attention in today's hectic world.

Thursday, September 21, 2006

I don't get it

This past week or so, the weather has been absolutely fabulous! Seriously, high 70s - low 80s high temps and mile high skies, with just a gentle wisp of clouds. I'm talking beautiful weather. They've been perfect Jeep days. I know the water in the TN River doesn't really look any different, but it seems bluer now that I'm not suffering from 95 degree heat while driving over the river. Plus, I've started craning my neck to get a better view down the river as I cross the bridge. I love the way the river just opens up down that way. Regardless, these have been prime "enjoy the outdoors" days.

The past few days, though, I've been looking around at my fellow commuters on my way home. Mild temps, gracious skies, and the lapping of wonderful water -- wouldn't you have the windows down and the music cranked up? I sure would, but my fellow Decaturites seem to be in love with the sealed interiors of their vehicles. I've done a couple of quick counts while sitting at red lights or in traffic across the bridge. While this is not scientific, it appears that approximately 80% of the cars do not have their windows down. I just don't get it. There just aren't that many of these days in a typical north AL year -- a few in the spring and then again in the fall -- so why aren't my townsfolks taking advantage?

I guess I'll just write it off as a universal mystery -- sort of like why people think Joe Morgan is a good baseball analyst, how anyone could think The Corrections is a good book, or the grand mystery that is American Idol. All things I've just accepted that I will not understand.

To hell with 'em. I'm headed home. It's just too pretty to sit inside this afternoon.

2 Comments:

At 11:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You didn't enjoy The Corrections? I liked it. I mean, parts of it were kind of disturbingly negative (and, truth be told, ol' Jonathan may actually be just Delillo Lite). But, I still thought it was a quality novel and a good read. we must discuss this. I mean... why?

 
At 7:06 AM, Blogger St. Caffeine said...

Sorry, Stella, though I love you dearly, you are WRONG on this one! It was trash! Yeah, I know I'm in the minority on this one, but I'm used to that.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home