Baseball, Books, and ... I need a third B

One guy's random thoughts on things of interest -- books, baseball, and whatever else catches my attention in today's hectic world.

Wednesday, October 25, 2006

2 down, 2 to go

“We” are one step closer to triumph! Yes, the Cards won game 3, 5-0. Last night’s contest was a glorious game. I don’t know that I’ve ever seen a better World Series pitching performance. [Of course, I’m limiting my sample to non-pine tar games.] 8 innings, 3 hits, 0 walks, 6 strikeouts – and only 82 pitches thrown. That’s pretty amazing. Yes, I know Don Larsen pitched a perfect game in ’56 (wasn’t it?), but I’m talking about games I’ve seen. I was torn in the bottom of the 8th inning. I was thrilled that the Cards were rallying for an additional run, but I hated the fact their half of the inning took so long that Tony decided not to have Carpenter go back out and pitch the 9th.

Now the Cards just have to win 2 before they lose 3. I’ve been skeptical the entire post season, but I’m starting to believe it could happen. The Cards could win their first World Series since 1982 (though they did get robbed in ’85 and I have thoughts about the ’87 Series as well). The two things that strike me as most unusual in this improbable run: They’ve won with pitching and they've won even though Pujols’ numbers haven’t been great, especially since the Padres series.

Regardless, I’m enjoying the run and I’m just hoping it can continue for 2 more wins. Those of you who aren’t baseball fans, … Well that makes me doubt your inherent humanity, but I promise I’ll be back to general carping next week. Some of my students already are sick of baseball talk. One girl today complained that she hasn’t been able to see something called “Prison Break” for weeks because of the stupid baseball games. I think she’s getting an F!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home