Baseball, Books, and ... I need a third B

One guy's random thoughts on things of interest -- books, baseball, and whatever else catches my attention in today's hectic world.

Thursday, October 26, 2006

How well am I?

You may or may not know, but I have a great aversion to doctors. Now before anyone chastises me for this, I come by it honestly. Caffeine Mom – the healthcare professional – absolutely refuses to go see a doctor. Why? Because doctors are for SICK people. Yes, it can be frustrating to be in the Caffeine Family.

Anyway, the Health Sciences folks hosted some sort of “wellness screening” on campus today: one of those things where they check your blood pressure, blood sugar, cholesterol, etc. One of my co-workers convinced me that I should go. She knows my aversion to doctors so she offered this thing as a “low discomfort” alternative. Sure enough, it wasn’t bad. The only invasive aspect of the whole thing was a finger prick to get blood.

So, how’s my “wellness”? Overall, I was pleased with my results. It turns out I need to lose just a few pounds, according to the BMI numbers. Big surprise there, huh? MY blood pressure and blood sugar stuff are fine. I was a little surprised, though, when my bone density number turned out to be a tad low. Hmm, I guess milk really does a body good. The more pressing concern though was on the cholesterol front. My total number was fine, but my HDL (the good cholesterol) was a little low. The wellness woman kind of pitched a fit about that, but I did some more research and I think she may have been overreacting a bit. Still, it probably wouldn’t hurt to try to get that number up a tad.

Okay, I figure you didn’t really want to know all this, but I just figured I’d share my (sort of) clean bill of health. Other than that, GO CARDS!

2 Comments:

At 10:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just catching up with your blogs. I guess your team did OK, eh. Thank goodness baseball is over, so I can get Sunday Night Football and Monday Night Football back on my one sports channel. Who Dat Say Dey Gonna Beat Dem Saints?

 
At 4:23 PM, Blogger melusina said...

See, you don't even need to see a doctor! You have a good 10 years or so before you really start to fall apart.

Cardinals, Schmardinals. Actually, I couldn't get revved up about the series this year. For one thing, I don't have access to baseball at all. For another, no team I care about (read: Orioles) made it. But oh, for a Greece that shows baseball games. A girl can dream, can't she?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home