Baseball, Books, and ... I need a third B

One guy's random thoughts on things of interest -- books, baseball, and whatever else catches my attention in today's hectic world.

Monday, May 14, 2007

Musings

Well another semester is over. Graduation was Friday night. Though it was long and painful, it always does my heart good to see how excited some of our students are by the whole thing. I guess it's worth it -- once a year -- though I do have some suggestions as to how they could speed up the process.

In other news, I sent a book to a friend due to give birth in 7 (I think) days. The book is supposed to be "a welcome relief from the flood of how-to-mother-perfectly tomes, Mead-Ferro’s short and sweet book is a reminder not to take parenthood so seriously." I like the general idea of the book, but what really sold me on it is that it's written by a woman named Buffy who grew up on a sheep ranch in Wyoming. Even though I gave the same book to another friend a few years ago, I never realized the Caffeine family parallel until now.

See, one of the Caffeine cousins is named xxx, but since childhood she has been known as Buffy (or Buff). Further, she grew up on a farm. In contrast to the Slacker Mom author, though, Buffy Caffeine hasn't strayed from the farm life. She recently finished her degree in something like soil science and she just accepted a job in the soybean industry (okay I'm no farm expert, this is as close as I can get) somewhere in Ohio. I imagine agriculture is one of the most male dominated industries in America, and I figure being known as Buffy wouldn't make it any easier. You've gotta' admire that. So good luck cousin Buffy. I've already heard rumors of a future roadtrip in which some of the Caffeine cousins are going to come visit.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home