Baseball, Books, and ... I need a third B

One guy's random thoughts on things of interest -- books, baseball, and whatever else catches my attention in today's hectic world.

Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Little stinkers

Let me warn you. This is going to be a rant. Now that I've got the disclaimer out of the way, I'll TRY to be brief.

The semester is coming to an end and lots of us have projects that are coming due. In my stats 2 class, the students have a fairly involved multiple regression project that is due today. In anticipation of student procrastination, I pointed out to my students last week that the computer lab is open for 4 hours on Saturday and that I'd probably be around for a little while for consultation if needed. Many of them assured me they'd be here Saturday and they even asked what time I might be here. Good, I thought, they're finally taking this project seriously.

On Friday, though, I saw a notice that our evening/weekend lab assistant was NOT going to be in to open the lab Saturday! Great, I finally convince them to get to work and now the lab will be closed. In order to avoid irate students on Monday/Tuesday, I decided I'm come in Saturday and open the lab myself. I could think of other things I'd rather do than sit in the lab for 4 hours on a gorgeous Saturday, but I figured the lab needed to be open.

Well I came in, opened the lab (a little early even), and sat there until 4:00. Wanna' guess how many of my desperate students showed up? ONE! Yes, I said ONE! I was so mad I could have chewed barbed wire and spit nails. I'm having NO MERCY on anyone who doesn't have a project for me today! Grrr! I cannot wait for the end of the semester.

7 Comments:

At 1:41 PM, Blogger melusina said...

I'm really glad I'm not your student for two reasons:

1) you sound mean as a professor

2) if I studied economics I would want to stick pieces of glass in my eye

No offense. Somebody has to do it. I'm just glad it isn't me.

 
At 1:56 PM, Blogger St. Caffeine said...

Actually, Mel, this was a stats project that I was ranting about. Second, I am the polar opposite of mean. I'm all wound up to tear them new ones, but then I get to feeling sorry for them and I end up caving. On my blog, though, I can be a real mean ass!

 
At 2:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, so give us and update...did anyone come in asking for an extension? if so, how did you react, meanie?

 
At 2:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

duh, that should read "give us AN update"
am a dork.

 
At 5:04 PM, Blogger Vol Abroad said...

You gave up a whole Saturday!

My husband is going in to meet a student on Monday (a holiday here) to see a student about her dissertation. Hope she shows up.

 
At 9:35 AM, Blogger St. Caffeine said...

I'm sure you'll all be relieved to know I didn't have to smite any poor stats students. No, they all had something to turn in at least. I haven't looked at the projects yet, but ...

I did have one student who suddenly realized he was supposed to include graphs (for residual anaylsis and such) and he wanted to ask all kinds of questions about that. I told him not to worry about it and he kept pushing. Finally I just told him it was too late and there was nothing he could do then. I didn't think that was too mean.

 
At 4:22 PM, Blogger melusina said...

Lol, stats is even worse than economics!

Your rants aren't any different from a philosophy professor friend of mine. Y'all sound all evil when you are talking amongst yourselves but all nice to your students. At least until you give them a grade.

Although my friend has busted a few for flat out plagiarism, and he isn't very nice when it comes to that.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home