Baseball, Books, and ... I need a third B

One guy's random thoughts on things of interest -- books, baseball, and whatever else catches my attention in today's hectic world.

Friday, August 24, 2007

How about that?

Thanks to my old pal, The Vol Abroad (I keep asking Santa to make her change her name or at least tone down the "hunter" orange, but I'm not holding my breath), I see that my old hometown of Lawrenceburg, TN has made the LA Times! The reason? The Fred Thompson Express.

Evidently the powers that be in L-burg have somehow sussed out the location of his presidential announcement: Lawrenceburg!
Truth be told, Lawrenceburg has been ready for months for its favorite son, former Sen. Fred D. Thompson, to announce his candidacy for president. And in this middle Tennessee town near the Alabama line, it's considered as certain as Wednesday night Bible study that Thompson will launch his run in the public square, a block from the David Crockett Theater.

While I wasn't too crazy about some of the Mayberry imagery the Times invoked (e.g., every local knows you don't fish in Shoal Creek -- at least not in town), I am small town enough to admit it was kind of a hoot to see names of folks I know in the LA (freaking) Times. I was, though, troubled by one part:
Mayor Keith Durham???
When did that happen? Actually it seems I recall Caffeine Brother might have mentioned something about that, but seeing it in print -- too weird.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home