Baseball, Books, and ... I need a third B

One guy's random thoughts on things of interest -- books, baseball, and whatever else catches my attention in today's hectic world.

Friday, May 09, 2008

Disturbing

Why am I disturbed? Well first because of the comment from "Mandy" on the previous post. Evidently she knows me from a LONG time ago, but I don't (yet) know who she is. Hmm.

Second, and more seriously, this story in today's Huntsville Times:
Alleged threat talk gets 2 banned at school
WOODVILLE - Two Woodville High seniors will spend the rest of the school year at the Jackson County school system's alternative school in Hollywood after they allegedly were heard discussing making terrorist threats, Jackson County schools Superintendent Jerry Jeffery said Thursday.

Though I'm not sure about "discussing making" threats, this does sound serious and in today's copycat world, I know authorities have to come down hard on such acts. The next sentence, though, made me ask, "Huh?"
But Jeffery said sheriff's investigators found no evidence the boys had a hit list as reported by two girls or that they had threatened anyone.

That's right; there was NO EVIDENCE that the boys had made any threats to anyone. Yet they got sent to the alternative school?!?! It gets worse.

Evidently the investigation has been going on since February (I guess officials considered the school safe for the past couple of months) but then the issue arose again when the girls reported they were afraid to come to school on awards day. So even though there was no evidence against the boys, they were sent to alternative school to placate the two girls? That's how it seems to me.

Here's the real kicker though. The final word from the principal:
I think a lot of this was instigated by kids not wanting to go to school.

I assume he's talking about the girls. Have they been sent to alternative school as well? The story doesn't indicate that. Hmm.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home