Baseball, Books, and ... I need a third B

One guy's random thoughts on things of interest -- books, baseball, and whatever else catches my attention in today's hectic world.

Thursday, September 25, 2008

Still here

In case my couple of devoted readers might be getting worried, I haven't quit blogging. It's just that I'm giving about a bazillion tests this week, so things have been pretty busy. I had to pull the old geezer card again, but ...

I can't believe the behavior of students today. In one class yesterday (approx. 30 students) 3 cell phones went off during the test! One guy even answered his phone -- just to say, "Dude, I'm taking a test," then he hung up! I called him out on that one and his response was, "Well that was the third time they'd called." Geesh. That floored me, but I may have been even more amazed that two other phones rang later in the period. Wouldn't you have checked (and silenced) your phone after the first incident? Oh, there was one final "insult to injury" ...

After the third phone rang, I interrupted everyone and said, "Okay, folks, please silence all your noise making devices." There were 3 people (that I saw) who still hadn't made their phones be silent, even after three disturbances! Are these people incredibly dense or are they just horribly inconsiderate?

Grrr!

3 Comments:

At 1:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I teach the 5th and 6th grade class at church on Wednesday nights and each week I take up cell phones before class begins. In a class of 21 kids, I take up 7-9 phones each week.

 
At 2:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I bet that you could get some advice from an accounting professor that we know. Your students would love it.

 
At 3:39 PM, Blogger St. Caffeine said...

Yeah, TJ, I tell my students horror stories about that accounting teacher, thinking it'll scare them straight. Maybe I need to bring her in as a guest speaker.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home