Baseball, Books, and ... I need a third B

One guy's random thoughts on things of interest -- books, baseball, and whatever else catches my attention in today's hectic world.

Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Milking it

This one is so easy, I started not to even mention it, but I found I couldn't resist. Major League Baseball is pissed at the California dairy folks! I'm sure you've heard about it, but in case you haven't ...

The CA milk guys are running "got milk" ads about fictional players who have been caught using a "performance enhancing" substance that will help regenerate muscles, build stronger bones, etc. Of course the substance is milk, but the ads are eerily similar to player and coach reactions to steroid allegations. My favorite is the "Never Poured" one in which a scrawny little guy is proud of the fact that he's never poured (i.e., taken milk). Furthermore, he maintains that there is no link between his refusal to "milk up" and the 7 year slump he's in. Heck, they even have one ad where a former player admits that he used to pour for another guy in the locker room before the game. They may not be the funniest spots ever, but they are amusing -- especially the way they mimic the actual reactions around MLB.

Now I understand why MLB might not be a big fan of bringing attention to the steroid scandal, but their reaction is a bit over the top.
"There is nothing humorous about steroid abuse," said Tim Brosnan, executive vice president for business for the league. "I would think that the California Milk Processor Board and their advertising agency would know better regarding an issue that threatens America's youth."

C'mon, guys, lighten up. Geez! Not only is this a huge overreaction, but it's bound to draw even more attention to the whole ad campaign. For instance, I'd probably never have heard about it if not for MLB's disproportionate reaction. Actually, I'm ashamed to admit that I heard about the whole thing from someone in Greece! Greece, you say? Yep, Mel, over at Mel's Diner brought this to my attention. Part of the reason I haven't blogged on it earlier is that I really didn't think I could add anything to her take. As I said earlier, though, it just kept calling to me and I had to throw my 2 cents in. By the way, I'm still not completely over the fact that I got scooped on this all the way from Greece. I may have to take out one of my B's. Thanks Mel.

Anyway, MLB's reaction shows just how out of touch they are. Anyone want to venture a guess why? I vote for ... ANTITRUST EXEMPTION! Yep, MLB still has that exemption which allows them to act as a "legal monopoly". [BTW, got to be one of the top 10 worst SCOTUS decisions ever!] As such, they can disregard a lot of the competitive market pressure that other sports must deal with. Think the NFL would do something so stupid? No. C'mon MLB, give up the exemption. It's not only the right thing to do, but it'll be in your own long-term interest. Which sport has the strongest players' union? Baseball. Why is the baseball union so strong? I'm sure there are lots of reasons, but one (in my opinion) is that the union knows it has MLB by the "short hairs". If they pushed it, the union knows it could get Federal Baseball Club v National League overturned. Furthermore, MLB knows this. Hence, MLB caves to the union again and again in order to keep them from pushing the antitrust thing. If MLB would just give up the exemption, they'd take away one of the union's strongest bargaining chips. Make sense? Does to me.

So, how should've MLB responded? Well, they could have taken a cue from Jeff Goodby, co-founder of the ad agency that came up with the spots. "It's just milk," Goodby said.

Yep, it's just milk. C'mon MLB. If you really want to worry about something that might tarnish the image of your sport, why don't you look into the horrible umpiring that has gone on in this year's playoff games? Huh, how about that? Grrrr!

7 Comments:

At 3:22 PM, Blogger melusina said...

Lol, it helps that I am 8 hours ahead of you. Or is it 7. I never remember.

Honestly, after the big baseball strike of, when the hell was it again? The late 90's, I've been not has happy with baseball. I didn't like all the greed, and I don't like all the changes.
I'm still an Orioles fan, but a disenchanted one. And there is no baseball here, anyway.

 
At 3:41 PM, Blogger St. Caffeine said...

Yeah, baseball isn't the same as it was in the "good old days". I must ask, though, how a Nashville girl came to be an Orioles fan? It was Cal Ripken, wasn't it? Devilishly handsome cur!

 
At 10:53 AM, Blogger melusina said...

Haha, no, it was because my dad is from Baltimore and my mom from the Eastern Shore of MD. So I am an O fan by birth.

Old Cal is handsome, but I had my eye on Brady Anderson for a long time. And I actually got to meet Rick Dempsey, and I saw Eddie Murray at that same time. My old great-aunts spent too much time cursing at Cal and calling him "easy out Cal" for me to like him too much.

 
At 4:15 PM, Blogger St. Caffeine said...

Okay, you ARE an O's fan if you're bragging about things like meeting Rick Dempsey. What about Milt Pappas? He was an Oriole at one point, plus he was Greek, wasn't he?

BTW, I got tickled picturing your great aunts cursing Cal. See, people should care that much about their teams! At least they should in my world.

 
At 4:57 PM, Blogger melusina said...

I don't recall Milt Pappas. I'd assume he was Greek, from the name.

How the O's were doing was an integral part of my early family life. The mood of my family shifted depending on the season. My great aunt was almost 90 when Cal hit his consecutive game streak. She said something to the effect of "well, nice ol' easy out Cal could make it to every game, too bad he couldn't ever hit the ball!" or something equally cutting.

Now I don't have baseball to curse at, but damn, you should have seen me going at the Greek soccer team on their last qualifying game (they didn't qualify) for the World Cup. It was a side of me my husband had never seen.

 
At 7:31 AM, Blogger St. Caffeine said...

Okay, my last word on Milt, ... I don't remember Milt Pappas as an Oriole either -- long before my time -- but I thought an O's fan might know his name since he was traded to Cincinnati for Frank Robinson in what many call the worst trade ever. I bet, though, O's fans think it was a GREAT trade.

 
At 10:42 AM, Blogger melusina said...

I've heard of Frank Robinson, but I didn't get into such details usually. I was too busy scoping out the cute players. =p

 

Post a Comment

<< Home