Baseball, Books, and ... I need a third B

One guy's random thoughts on things of interest -- books, baseball, and whatever else catches my attention in today's hectic world.

Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Need reading material?

Okay, I'm really rushed today as I need to get all my work done here at the office so I can devote my full attention to GAME SIX tonight. Go Cards!

Anyway, because of the time crunch, today I'm going to shamelessly steal from The Vol Abroad. Yesterday she pointed the way to Time Magazine's list of the 100 Best English-Language Novels from 1923 to the Present. Looking over the list, I was surprised by a few things.


  1. First, I thought it was a pretty good list. It didn't go too far off the deep end with obscure works, though there were some of those. No, it really did seem to be a list of what is generally considered the best of English-language lit over the past 80-odd years, with some curves thrown in. Of course, one could quibble ...
  2. One thing I did notice, though, was that some authors were over-represented. For instance, I really don't see why you need 2 Philip Roth books on there (for that matter, why was American Pastoral chosen at all?). Same thing with Thomas Pynchon -- though I speculate this was a bogus choice all around as I don't believe anyone ever had the wherewithal to make it through TWO Pynchon novels!
  3. Something I did like about the list is that it tended to disregard hot books that have not yet stood the test of time. The glaring exception to this, in my opinion, is The Corrections. I thought that was one of the most overrated books I've ever read, yet it made the list. Oh well, no one is perfect.
  4. The best thing about the list is that it attempted to strike a balance between acknowledged classics and underrated works. For instance, two hard-boiled detective books rightfully made the list -- The Big Sleep, by Raymond Chandler and Red Harvest, by Dashiell Hammett. The Chandler choice is far and away his best work, but I'm a bit surprised they chose Red Harvest over the better know Maltese Falcon. Either, though, is a fine choice.

Since this is a best of list, I feel I have to grumble a bit. Hmm, let me think on that a minute ... Okay, off the top of my head I see a few glaring shortcomings. First, I was disappointed in the absence of Ellen Gilchrist, though I really don't know that she should make the top 100. Wait, the list is for NOVELS and Ellen's best work is in short stories. Okay, I can leave her off with a clear conscience. Here are two, though, that I am significantly troubled by:

  1. The Prince of Tides -- the book, not the movie. This is one of the finest novels ever. The use of language and description is perfect and it has big, meaty themes. I could see leaving it off if one was going to concentrate only on venerable classics, but several of the books on the list are newer than P of T. Final verdict -- no excuse.
  2. Nothing by Larry McMurtry? My personal favorite is All My Friends Are Going to Be Strangers, though there are many to choose from -- Lonesome Dove, Last Picture Show, ... Yes, I know these are popular novels, but the list didn't seem to shy away from that. Final verdict -- maybe excusable.
  3. Oh, I just noticed the total lack of Edith Wharton and Henry James! How can that be? Hang on a sec ... Okay, I just checked. This makes sense due to the start date of 1923. Final verdict -- my bad.

So, those are my thoughts. Feel free to chime in if you'd like to suggest ones to drop or add.

3 Comments:

At 3:16 PM, Blogger melusina said...

Well, I like The Second Coming by Walker Percy more than The Moviegoer.

I may be blind, but I don't see Eudora Welty on the list. You can't beat The Optimist's Daughter. I'd certainly replace "Possession" with that, but whatever.

I think Henry Miller is overrated, but I suppose he has a "place" in literary life.

And I agree about doubles, I mean, I think there are enough great novels out there not to allow any one author, no matter how great, two novels.

 
At 3:19 PM, Blogger Vol Abroad said...

Yes indeed, some Southern writers, but few Southern Women writers (where's Flannery O'Connor, for example The Violent Bear it Away or as Mel points out Eudora Welty?

 
At 3:26 PM, Blogger St. Caffeine said...

Wait, Flannery didn't make the cut? I thought she did. Whoops.

Oh, and as for Eudora. I absolutely adore (yes, straight men can use that word) her, but like Ellen Gilchrist, I think her best work is in the field of short fiction.

As you both sort of got at, though, I do think the list is a little light on Southern women. Though I greatly admire old Bill Faulkner (I have to as an Ole Miss grad), I really do think the best Southern writers have been women. If I'd done more thinking before coming up with my gripes, I'm sure I'd have gotten around to that.

Oh, Mel, I certainly agree with your critique of The Moviegoer. I had always heard such great things about that book, but when I read it all I could say was, "Huh? That's it?" Very disappointing, though I do admire Percy's writing in general.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home