Baseball, Books, and ... I need a third B

One guy's random thoughts on things of interest -- books, baseball, and whatever else catches my attention in today's hectic world.

Friday, October 28, 2005

More book blogging

WARNING: LONG POST!

Okay, I seem to have hit on something people like to comment on. Good. It's more fun when y'all give feedback. Hence, today I will revisit the issue to address some points brought up in yesterday's comments.

First, some commenters seemed to think I was criticizing people who read popular books. Not at all. That's how books get popular -- people read them. I don't have enough time or knowledge to find out about and analyze every book that comes out. I have to rely on the suggestions of others. I do that by listening to the general buzz, checking out bestseller lists, looking at the "also bought/viewed" selections on Amazon, reading book reviews, or just listening to friends' recommendations (more on that later). I find absolutely nothing wrong with this as a method of selecting reading material. I do think you're likely to miss out on some good stuff if you only use one source, but we all have to narrow our choices somehow.

Second, Vol Abroad talks about the fact that she often has more than one read going at once. I think most serious readers often do this. Which book do I read when? Well it often depends on the environment. If I were riding the tube (believe it or not, we don't have a tube here in Decatur), I figure I'd take the latest Robert Crais or Elmore Leonard rather than Public Choice III or the latest Haruki Murakami. While all these books would interest me (probably) and I'd like to read each, I figure Murakami would lose something in such a setting. Would it make me look "smarter" if I read Public Choice III while eating dinner at CiCi's Pizza? Yes. But I wouldn't get the same enjoyment (yes, I would enjoy that book) from it.

As an aside, this actually comes up fairly often with me. Being a single guy, I eat a lot of meals alone. I'll blog another day on which restaurants I will and will not go to alone, but I often end up as a party of one. Given my addiction to reading, I keep a "car book" in the car at all times for just such an occasion. Now choosing a car book is not as easy as one might think, but I'll blog on that some other time as well. By the way, science fiction does not make a good car book as that immediately marks you as the weird Trekie guy who probably lives with Mom and spends his weekends at SciFi or comic book cons. Now I like to think I don't care a whit for what others think, but there are limits. Besides, given my weirdo magnet, I really can't run the risk of attracting other SciFi types. Please, no angry comments from SciFi fans. I read some SciFi, I'm just not that taken with it. It seems like it's a hard genre to do well and if it's not done well, then it's just silly.

Sometimes the choice of reading material is not based on the concentration level required. Vol also seems to indicate that she sometimes has a trash book that she would not want to read in public. I, too, have been guilty of that. Though not as bad as the time I got caught at a summer job reading one of the Longarm books [Really, I found it in the boat dock shack where I was forced to sit 12 hours a day and there was absolutely nothing else to read, I promise!], I will admit that I sometimes read a book that I don't relish taking out in public. Unlike Vol, I'll fess up to an example. To shorten this as much as possible (really, I'm trying), about 6 months ago I found myself in possession of See Jane Date -- the story of a singleton female in the big city dealing with the shame and hardship of being unwed. This is a common theme in the "chick lit" genre, but some of them are well written and enjoyable. I read the book and it turned out to be about what I expected. Still, I wasn't eager to run around showing everyone that I was reading even more "girly books" (see the coffee shop post). Though I know "there's nothing wrong with that", I just didn't take that book out in public. So, yet again, I too am guilty of book snobbery. I don't like it, but it is true.

Melusina's comment really describes my utopia of reading habits. "I'll read what I want to read, whenever I want to read. And I'll read it in public if I have cause to." This is pretty much my philosophy for choosing reading material and locations for reading. I would, though, be a little dishonest if I didn't admit to having a little bit of the book snob in me. Confession is good for the soul, no?

Finally, I'll wrap this up with a brief mention of a couple of good book suggestions I've benefited from of late. Back when I first started blogging, Vol suggested that I read The Price of Loyalty. Though I don't have a good story about the book, as she does, I thought it was well worth my time and I do endorse the book. The other recommendation, though, flat knocked me out.

I heard a lot of positive buzz about The Time Traveler's Wife, the most compelling from my friend, and commenter, Ang, but I had been slow to read it. This was one of my QPB books from a while ago, but I got sidetracked by the wonderful thesaurus. Anyway, I finally read it and I was AMAZED! The highest praise I can give it: I stayed up until 2:00 a.m. this morning to finish it. Yes, my discussion of long run aggregate supply and the monetarist theory of inflation likely suffered a bit this morning, but it was worth it. Wow!

I'll probably do a full review later, but I have to share a couple of thoughts. This simply is a wonderful book. The writing may not be outstanding, but it just works. The premise is that Henry randomly drops in and out of time. Plus, he has this really odd and confusing habit of dropping in on Clare, his (future) wife, from the time she is 6 until she turns 18. This has the unusual consequence that from 6 to 18 she worships him as this "all knowing" grownup from the future, but when they finally do meet in real life the tables are turned. She knows all about him and he's never met her (all his visits were from when he's older). Yeah, you have to stop and think a minute. If you've ever read a SciFi time travel book you know that it's hard to pull off. Though I think I'm as critical as most any reader (don't get me started), I did not find a "time inconsistency" (no, not the macroeconomic policy version) anywhere in the story. There's still one little episode I'm not 100% sure about, but I'll have to go back and check it out again. Still, I was incredibly surprised that Audrey Niffenegger was able to make time travel work, apparently without a hitch.

Beyond just the technical aspects of time travel, she also wrote a pretty darned good story. I never lost interest in the characters and I didn't end up identifying more with Henry or Clare. Furthermore, if I weren't such a manly man, I'd have been bawling at the end. Seriously, folks, if you haven't done so, read this book now!

P.S. Speaking of manly men, a "little bird" told me not to knock men who knit as her daddy is a FINE knitter. I am casting no stones at Mr. G, I just don't think I'll be joining him on this one.
P.P.S. The coffee shop woman told me this morning she'd found a man who DOES, in fact, knit -- her hairdresser. Case closed!

7 Comments:

At 4:43 PM, Blogger Vol Abroad said...

Oh, yeah, that Longarm book was trashy.

And it seems to me that knitting would be an ideal companion activity to baseball watching.

 
At 4:55 PM, Blogger melusina said...

I'll have to add the Time Traveller's Wife to my wishlist, I've heard way too much about it.

I'm real picky about modern lit, not so much so with things that are considered classics. I tend to pick modern writers that are a bit more off the beaten path I guess, with books like Geek Love and Cruddy and such. But I always take recommendations.

I never used to like scifi - I was a scifi snob, I admit. I could tolerate the Fantasy side of the genre as a medieval lit fan, but not the scifi. Until, that is, my husband made me a fan of Star Trek:TNG, and I read my first Asimov collection of short stories. I was impressed, to say the least.

I've also, for some reason, been jonesing for books about "cultural" (I really have no idea how to classify this, basically life in cultures other than my own) life, it started with a reread of Maxine Hong Kingston's Woman Warrior, led to an Amy Tan.

Now I am out of new books again, my husband's wallet is plagued, he says I go through them too fast. So I've been rereading some of my Gothic library in celebration of Halloween (Northanger Abbey of late) and can't wait to use the credit card to order more books after the first. I'm an addict.

I will sometimes do more than one book at once, but since I have lots of time for reading I can go through one at a time pretty quickly.

And yes, I do admit to being a book snob...but honestly, I am just glad when I see people reading. It may be crap, but that crap may be a hard read for them. I don't want to judge or discourage reading, no matter what it is. As long as it isn't white supremacist literature.

 
At 5:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, don't knock hairdressing men! The best hairdressers (for women that is) are men. Men who knit are not that rare. I was talk to crochet, knit, needlepoint and cross-stitch by a man. Also, if you have a stroke (no I'm not wishing this on you, it a general "you") they often teach you to knit or something like that as part of your physical therapy. And as if you needed more convincing, I have to agree with Vol it's great while watching baseball.

 
At 7:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Seriously, why did you really read See Jane Date? Misery likes company?

Now you know I'm not a big reader of novels, mostly because we people with children AND jobs just don't have time. But, I read a book a while back that made me think of you for some odd reason and I'm suggesting you give it a chance- The Dogs of Babel.

Let's try for flavored coffee with cream soon.

 
At 8:27 PM, Blogger St. Caffeine said...

Good to hear from you again, anonymous. Yes, I know you have a child AND a job. I felt so bad for you, I bought you a jar of green beans once upon a time.

I'd love to get together for a coffee, but if you try to slip me any of that flavored crap (or cream), I'll have to pull a Red Foreman on you!

Thanks for the book rec, I'll check it out. Hey, did you ever read Pam Houston's 2nd collection of stories? If not, you should. It was pretty good.

 
At 8:29 PM, Blogger St. Caffeine said...

Oh, Vol, one cannot knit while watching baseball if one is keeping score! Plus, the ultimate baseball companion activity is drinking beer, preferably homemade.

 
At 3:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love a book with a good ending and The Time Traveler's Wife had a great ending! The only other books I've ever read with equally great endings were "The Life of Pi" and "The Book of Ruth."

I read a lot of children's literature -- books for older children and young adults. Excellent genre. Harry Potter got me hooked years ago (before everyone else was readying Harry Potter)and I just can't stop. But feeble minded as I am, I can only read one book at a time.

Don't tempt the weirdo magnet. Avoid knitting.

Try flavored coffee. Live a little.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home