Baseball, Books, and ... I need a third B

One guy's random thoughts on things of interest -- books, baseball, and whatever else catches my attention in today's hectic world.

Wednesday, November 02, 2005

I wanted COFFEE,

not some candied liquid crap with a hint of coffee flavor!

Y'all know my feelings about flavored coffee (or at least you do now), but my strict standards were subverted yesterday at Lagniappe's Coffee Cafe here in Decatur. I stopped to deposit my paycheck and, as usual, I decided to go just down the street and treat myself to an afternoon cup of joe.

I knew I was in trouble when I walked in. The person behind the counter appeared to be a 16 (at most) year old boy with a bright green NERD t-shirt -- not a good sign. Still, all I wanted was a cup of coffee! I placed my order and the young man filled my cup and took my money. Out of curiosity, I glanced at the board and saw that the "coffee of the day" was Sumatra -- yummy.

Anyway, I went back to the car and headed home without tasting the coffee as it's usually too hot to drink fresh out of the air pot. As I drove home, though, I began to suspect something was amiss. I was almost sure that I could smell a flavor wafting out of the cup. Still, I figured it might just be secondary flavors from the shop. So I got home, fed the cats (including the porch cat), and sat on the porch swing to enjoy my coffee and read the paper. Then I tasted the coffee! YUCK! I don't know what the flavor was, but it was NOT regular old Sumatran coffee. I was so mad, I could have chewed nails and spit barbed wire. I was not, though, mad enough to go all the way back to Lagniappe's.

No, I poured out the coffee and learned a lesson -- always taste the coffee at the shop, especially if it's served by a teenager in a NERD t-shirt!

BTW, where are you "anonymous"? We were having coffee today, no? Super busy, so blogging will be light the rest of the week. I know y'all are disappointed.

3 Comments:

At 5:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Long time no read, but i have been in Italy for two weeks, and am just catching up. Your coffee tirade hits the mark. I spent the last two weeks alternating between coffee in a thimble and a thimbleful of coffee covered with milk or foam or both.

 
At 9:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My God, man, no one should ever try to catch up with three weeks of your blogs at one sitting. But you should try it. Then maybe you would squeeze in an "I am normal" post in between the "I am a lunatic" ones. I know you can do it. Looking forward to the next one.

 
At 11:03 AM, Blogger St. Caffeine said...

Good to have you back, TJ. I must admit that I feel very, very sorry for you -- having to spend your free time touring Italy and all.

As for your suggestion that I put in an "I am normal" post, ... Well, that ain't gonna' happen. Why? First, it'd be boring. Second, I'm not normal. Thanks, though, for your suggestion.

BTW, have you heard the latest on Donna and the disappearing stent?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home