Baseball, Books, and ... I need a third B

One guy's random thoughts on things of interest -- books, baseball, and whatever else catches my attention in today's hectic world.

Monday, May 22, 2006

Not a good start

So far my summer is not off to a good start. First, I don't think the break between spring and summer terms is nearly long enough (about 3 months is the optimal length). I am, though, resigned to the realities of summer school. Now, however, the fates are conspiring against me.

I have to teach this "distance learning" econ class this summer, but I spent most of last week figuring out how to use all the WebCT bells and whistles to make that go. Now the one crucial thing I need from the book rep and her company is not coming through. To quote her:
I feel certain they will send this to you and xxxx shortly! If you do NOT hear from them by tomorrow, please let me know!!! I know they were doing maintenance on our systems over the weekend, starting sometime on Friday. So they may have not gotten to it yet. Keep me informed : )

Now I have to have my orientation sessions tomorrow, but I'm not sure the stuff I need to show them will be available. Keep in mind that this is the one time I'll see these students all summer (other than test days). ARGH!

On top of that, I have to work registration today. I DETEST working registration. I don't hate it because of the work involved. Rather, I hate it because of the lack of work or reason or sanity or ... involved. The last time I worked it, I sat around and talked to an English prof for an hour-and-a-half and then came back to the office. The folks that work in admissions/registration/etc. were the ones actually doing the work!

Finally, the cool weather has ended. We'd enjoyed a couple of weeks of very pleasant weather, but today is shaping up to be a burner. Yes, I know it's that time of year and such weather is to be expected. While the weather is expected, I did not expect the entire AC for our building to be kaput this morning. Yep, I've been sitting her sweltering for about 3 hours. Right now it is 80.8 [er, 82.3 a few hours later] degrees in my office.

In normal times none of these things would cause me more than mild irritation. Seeing as summer school starts tomorrow, though, I take them as ominious portents of a very bad summer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home