Baseball, Books, and ... I need a third B

One guy's random thoughts on things of interest -- books, baseball, and whatever else catches my attention in today's hectic world.

Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Crash into me



That's my coffee shop! And I was sitting just inside said coffee shop when that lovely Volvo knocked a gaping hole in the wall this morning. Seriously, I was kicked back, reading the morning paper, just about 6 feet from the front bumper of the car. I heard an engine rev, a thump as the car jumped the curb, and then a tremendous BOOM as it slammed into the wall. The wall was pushed in far enough to scoot my chair across the floor and push me a couple of steps toward the other side of the shop. I'm not injured, but it was pretty damned scary!

Fortunately, the rest of my coffee shop circle was not there this morning or someone (less tough than me) might have been injured. I didn't think that much about it as it happened, but I'll admit to a slight case of the jelly knees when I turned around and saw a big green car bumper just feet from where I had been sitting. Whew!

Oh, as for the driver -- she was okay too. According to her story, the accelerator hung and she had to swerve into the parking lot to avoid slamming into a bunch of cars on 6th Avenue. I'm sure it was scarier for her, but that didn't make me feel any better at the time. Regardless, all is calm now. My back is a little stiff, but I think that's probably just from tension.

Gee, and I thought the big excitement I'd be blogging about today would be the elections. Oh well.

6 Comments:

At 9:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Does this mean that your wall painting has been ruined?

Man, I was looking forward all weekend to reading about water quality testing, and instead we get a mere threat upon your life!

 
At 10:55 AM, Blogger St. Caffeine said...

You know, TJ, the wall painting is the first thing I thought about -- well after my heart stopped racing. Fortunately, I didn't paint the wall that got destroyed. My wall is still safe and sound.

I will report on water testing later.

 
At 10:57 AM, Blogger Miranda said...

Glad you are ok!!

 
At 11:07 AM, Blogger Vol Abroad said...

was any coffee spilled?

 
At 2:59 PM, Blogger St. Caffeine said...

Randa, I'm honored that you deigned to comment once again. To think, all it took was a near death experience.

Yes, Vol, my coffee went flying! Fortunately, refills are free at my coffee shop.

 
At 9:14 AM, Blogger Vol Abroad said...

well, so long as there were free refills that's alright then

(glad you're ok)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home