Baseball, Books, and ... I need a third B

One guy's random thoughts on things of interest -- books, baseball, and whatever else catches my attention in today's hectic world.

Thursday, March 08, 2007

What'd you say?

I don't know why, but the other day I got to thinking about misheard song lyrics. The most famous example, of course, is Jimi Hendrix's, "Excuse me while I kiss this guy." If you thought you were the only one stupid enough to "mishear" certain lyrics, fear not. There's practically a cottage industry (here's one example, here's another) out there in identifying "mondegreens" (see here for an explanation of the term). Personally, I thought I remembered another name for such lyrics, one with more of a contemporary pop culture origin, but I can't seem to find that term. If you know the term I'm thinking of, please share.

So anyway, I got to thinking about those and I thought I'd share my two most infamous "mishears". I've done a bit of digging on this and it seems I AM the only person to have misheard these lines in these ways, but I'm used to being "unique".
  1. Ever since I was a little kid, I've loved the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band song, "American Dream." You know it, it's the one that goes:
    Voila! an american dream.
    Well, we can travel girl, without any means.
    When its as easy as closing your eyes
    And dream jamaica is a big neon sign.
    Problem is, I always heard that last line as, "And dream Jamaica is a pygmy on side." Yes, I realize my version makes no sense, but that's what I always heard. To this day, I still have trouble NOT hearing "pygmy on side."
  2. A more recent example comes courtesy of Sammy Kershaw. Though "Queen of My Doublewide Trailer was is his best song, I always had a small problem with "Cadillac Style." The actual lyrics are:
    Well I ain't Goldfinger and I ain't Joe Fashion
    And you can't buy much with the checks I'm cashin'
    Now that makes sense, but I always heard, "And you can't buy much with a check signed Kashen (or some other last name)." See, to me the guy was complaining about some skinflint boss named Kashen. He didn't pay much, so you couldn't buy much with a check he'd signed. Yeah the intent is roughly the same, but I now realize my version is unnecessarily complicated. Still, it's what I heard.

So those are the two I've always had trouble with. Surprisingly, I never thought CCR was singing about a "bathroom on the right", nor did I really think Hendrix needed a minute to lay one on some dude. Heck, I was even pretty sure it was a DEUCE that was "another runner in the night." What about y'all? Got any good ones?

Oh, I also want to point out that tomorrow is St. Caffeine's birthday!!! Presents should be tasteful and, what the heck, let's try to keep them under $500. I'm waiting.

2 Comments:

At 11:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I misheard the first line of Red Rider's LUNATIC FRINGE to say "Let me tell you friend..."

 
At 12:11 PM, Blogger St. Caffeine said...

AHA, Caffeine Brother speaks!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home