Baseball, Books, and ... I need a third B

One guy's random thoughts on things of interest -- books, baseball, and whatever else catches my attention in today's hectic world.

Monday, May 19, 2008

Downers

Well I survived graduation and today marks the first day of my week (or so) off before the start of summer school. Given the happy occasion, I choose to share a few "downers" with you today.

First, there's this op-ed piece (from the WaPo) by an imprisoned leader of a Russian youth movement. The more I read about Putin's Russia (and there is NO doubt that it's still Putin's Russia despite his stepping down as president) the more nervous I get. It really does seem he wants to return Russia to the "glory days" of the USSR. I'm currently reading a book by the Economist's former correspondent in Russia and I'm becoming more concerned with each chapter. The book itself seems to have been written too quickly and the author seems to rely too much on creating sometimes suspect links between disparate events, but I admire the overall work. The West needs to wake up to the new threat of old Russia's resurrection.

Second, and also from the WaPo, there's a column by my favorite columnist in America, Sebastian Mallaby. Today Mallaby takes on the immense farm lobby and the insanity that is international ag policy. While there's nothing really new in his column you can read about the (so far) little-discussed Japanese rice policy. While the BIG political problems (e.g., Russia) worry me, this is the kind of problem I find most frustrating. It really seems a small dose of international common sense could do a lot to solve these types of issues. Yet nothing gets done. Grr.

Third, I still haven't figured out the identity of "Mandy" -- they mystery commenter from last week. Hmmm.

1 Comments:

At 11:51 AM, Blogger melusina said...

Well, I never stopped being suspicious of Russia (score one for my Cold War upbringing) but what bothers me most, aside from the obvious "back to the old USSR" thing, is the fact that they seem to be establishing a rather chummy relationship with China. Or working towards it, at least. Those are the last two countries the world needs to find allied.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home