Baseball, Books, and ... I need a third B

One guy's random thoughts on things of interest -- books, baseball, and whatever else catches my attention in today's hectic world.

Monday, September 29, 2008

Things I'm sick of reading about ...

and, thus, will not be blogging about.

Number one on this list has to be THE ELECTION. I know it's important, but I figure most people have made up their minds. Yes the sheep fleetingly react to each new bit of breaking news (hence the post-convention bumps), but don't you think most people have decided who they're voting for? I consider myself to be truly unaffiliated with either party, but I've known for a while which candidate I was going to vote for. No he's not my ideal candidate, but I think the differences between the two are pretty stark and they've been laid out pretty clearly. What is there to be undecided about?

Number two is THE FINANCIAL CRISIS. It's bad. Credit is going to be tight. No, it's not due to the repeal of Glass-Steagall. Yes, it will pass. Unfortunately when it all settles down, I fear there will be more concentration in the banking industry -- the smart set seems to think there'll be 3 big commercial banks left standing.

Now for some things I am not sick of -- and, hence, will blog about:

#1 has to be my beloved University of MS football team. I know "close" doesn't count, but the Rebs have been having a good year. The "prevent defense" cost them a win (in my opinion) over Wake Forest in the opener. Then they lost to Vandy (a better team than most would have thought), in large part, due to a disastrous fumble at the end of the game. So they'd had some tough losses, but they'd looked pretty good. Then there was Saturday. The Ole Miss Rebels went into the swamp and beat the mighty Florida Gators. Again I thought being conservative at the end was going to cost them the game, but the defense stood up and stopped the Gators on a 4th and 1 at the end. It was sweet.

Okay now that I think about it, as happy as that made me, I'm more excited by the MLB playoffs. The Cardinals did not make the playoffs this year (in part due to their fine imitation of the Durham Bulls, from the movie Bull Durham, the last few weeks of the season), but they had a better year than anyone expected back in March/April. Albert Pujols, of course, had another stellar year and, in my opinion, deserves to win his 2nd (should be his 3rd) MVP award. On top of that, Troy Glauss and Ryan Ludwick had years no one expected, and Yadier Molina hit over .300. All-in-all, a pretty good year for the Redbirds. Now they just need to figure out the bullpen. Outside of the Cardinals, it is now playoff time and there are some unexpected teams there. I'm looking forward to it.

Yikes, it's time for class. I'll try for a more personal post soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home