Baseball, Books, and ... I need a third B

One guy's random thoughts on things of interest -- books, baseball, and whatever else catches my attention in today's hectic world.

Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Brr, in the woods

Blogging will be light this week as I experience a few days of freedom. It shouldn't surprise you that one without a cell phone would choose to curtail his computer time as well during his break. So what am I going to do with my time off?

Well I'm going "home" for Christmas, but first I plan to spend a couple of days/nights hiking/camping at the Sipsey Wilderness Area. Yes, it is going to be cold (probably colder than I imagine), but the forecast for Thursday and Friday doesn't look too bad. My plan is to head out Thursday morning and return Saturday mid-day. We'll see about that. I may be so miserable that I only make it one night, but I'm going to give it a shot.

Hey, how about some reader involvement (assuming anyone is reading during this busy time of the year)? I plan to take my "hiker's journal" (Christmas present from Ang), but I expect that a good chunk of my time sitting around the camp will be spent reading. So what should I read? Right now I'm leaning toward Hemingway. He just seems appropriate, especially the Nick Adams Stories, but I don't have a copy of that particular work. Hopefully I'll avoid any "To Build A Fire" situations. So, any suggestions? Please remember weight is a consideration (physical weight, not the "weightiness" of the reading material)! Even though I am reading The Stand right now, that's 3 pounds that will not make it into my pack!

Oh, a couple of updates on recent blogs:
  1. I read that the John Seigenthaler Wikipedia entry "dust up" was caused by someone (a friend?) who thought the whole thing was a prankster website. I can't vouch for that, but I read it in a newspaper and according to John, those folks HAVE to tell the truth.
  2. Porch Cat disappeared for several days. I feared the worst, but he's back now. I talked to the folks at the vet's office and they suggested borrowing a trap from the Humane Society. They did say they'd be willing to look at him if I managed to catch him. We'll see; still working on that. On the bright side, though he is still limping, he appears to have learned to move around pretty well on 3 legs.

4 Comments:

At 12:31 PM, Blogger melusina said...

Well, something that is easy to read and relatively lightweight, but enjoyable, is House of God by Samuel Shem. It was written about 30 years ago and covers the first year of a medical internship. It is very different from lots of things I've read about medicine, very funny as well.

Also lightweight and enjoyable reading (if you like sci fi and mysteries) are Asimov's Caves of Steel series. These books are teee-iny.

And you can always pick up a copy of Breakfast at Tiffany's.

 
At 8:24 PM, Blogger St. Caffeine said...

Pick up a copy of Breakfast at Tiffany's? It's only one of my all-time very favorite books! I think I've got 2 or 3 copies laying around somewhere already.

I do, though, appreciate the input.

 
At 3:31 PM, Blogger melusina said...

I'm sorry, but are you sure you're not a woman? =p

 
At 7:02 PM, Blogger St. Caffeine said...

What? There's nothing unmanly about (the book) Breakfast at Tiffany's, is there? Okay, I'll admit Capote was not the manliest of men, but I figure my fondness for Hemingway cancels that out.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home