Baseball, Books, and ... I need a third B

One guy's random thoughts on things of interest -- books, baseball, and whatever else catches my attention in today's hectic world.

Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Classic toys

Renee Busby of the Mobile Regsiter has an interesting piece (actually a book review) on timeless toys from the past. I always like these "little known facts" sort of things. My favorite:
The game "Twister" began as a shoe polish promotion. Before the game even debuted in 1966, Milton Bradley had concerns that the game would be too risqué and socially unacceptable because it required men and women to become entangled in knots. After the game's release, sales were slow, which prompted Milton Bradley to pull the plug on the production of the game. But on May 3, 1966, things started looking up for "Twister." That night, Johnny Carson invited his guest, Eva Gabor, to play the new game with him on his show. The publicity catapulted sales. That year, more than 3 million sets were sold.

Busby's review mentions many more -- from Candyland to Pez. Read the whole thing if you're nostalgic for the days when a toy's only special effects were in the imagination of the child playing with it. Yep, I'm a mid-30s geezer; I'll admit it.

Things are busy, busy today, so that's all.

4 Comments:

At 3:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I bought Twister for my 13 year old neice for Christmas this year. It's a classic.

 
At 1:28 PM, Blogger St. Caffeine said...

Ang, you HAVE a 13-year-old neice?!?! Man, we're getting old.

 
At 2:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, Caff, we are getting old. I have a 13-year-old neice. We graduated from college 13 years ago. And in 3 1/2 years we'll have our 20-year High School Reunion. Oops. I've "outed" you. Now everyone knows just how old we are.

 
At 7:29 PM, Blogger St. Caffeine said...

Ang, surely you made a couple of typos. Don't you mean we graduated college 3 years ago and we're almost ready for our 10 year HS reunion? Okay, I know that's not true, but I like my version better.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home