Baseball, Books, and ... I need a third B

One guy's random thoughts on things of interest -- books, baseball, and whatever else catches my attention in today's hectic world.

Thursday, December 08, 2005

Mooching off others

The end of the semester is in sight. Tomorrow is the last day of classes and then I just have to survive finals! Maybe next week I'll have time to share some deep, philosophical thoughts -- or at least a good rant. In the meantime, I'm still mooching off the (unbeknownst) kindness of others. Today's victim: Newmark's Door.

Specifically I'm stealing another "best of" list. Today it is the AFI's 100 Best Movie Quotes. #1 is predictable -- Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn. -- but some of the others are a bit less obvious. I am, though, troubled by #98 -- Nobody puts Baby in a corner. Now I've heard lots of folks make fun of that line, but I never knew anyone who thought it was a great movie quote. The biggest disappointment, however, is that my all time favorite movie line didn't make the cut: Silent Bob's only line from Clerks -- You know, there's a million fine looking women in the world, dude. But they don't all bring you lasagna at work. Most of 'em just cheat on you.

Also of interest, ... Book-A-Minute. I'm pretty sure this is a sarcastic response to the desire to boil classics down into CliffsNotes or the cell phone text thing that I ranted about earlier. Anyway, at Book-A-Minute, you can get the true "nuts and bolts" of many classic novels. For instance, The Sun Also Rises:

Stock Hemingway Narrating Character: It was in Europe after the war. We were depressed. We drank a lot. We were still depressed.

THE END

Or how about The Collected Works of Jane Austen:

Female Lead: I secretly love Male Lead. He must never know.

Male Lead: I secretly love Female Lead. She must never know.

(They find out.)

THE END

Yes, Greek reader, they do Gatsby and it's a hoot.

Okay, I'll try to get back into blogging soon.

2 Comments:

At 1:43 PM, Blogger melusina said...

Haha. Ok, it is funny, but I am still appropriately mortified.

 
At 4:51 PM, Blogger St. Caffeine said...

I feel your pain, Mel, but I really think it's sarcastic. The Sun Also Rises is one of my all-time favorites, but I appreciated their summation.

Still, I appreciate your mortification.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home