Baseball, Books, and ... I need a third B

One guy's random thoughts on things of interest -- books, baseball, and whatever else catches my attention in today's hectic world.

Friday, December 02, 2005

An ominous day, so far

Let's just say today has not gotten off to a great start. How so?
  1. I overslept. True, I only overslept by 15 minutes or so, but it meant I had to choose between shaving this morning or being able to go socialize (for the length of time I prefer) at the coffee shop. Guess which I chose. Yep, I'm Scruffy Caffeine today. Oh well, it's Friday and shaving has never been at the top of my list of things I worry about doing every (other) day. Okay, I'll 'fess up; I just used the overslept thing as an excuse not to shave today. Oh, my shirt is VERY wrinkled as well, so it all goes together. Still, oversleeping just throws my whole day off.
  2. I ran into the storm door as I attempted to leave the house this morning. How, you might ask, did I do that? Well it's really too hard to describe, but essentially something on the porch prevented the door from opening all the way and I just plowed right into it.
  3. The past day or so I'd noticed that the steering seemed to be a little funny in my car. Now I treat car problems the way I do health problems -- ignore them and they'll go away. If one goes to the doctor or the mechanic, one NEVER hears good news. Hence, I avoid both. Yes, I know that is dumb as dirt, but it's my way. Realistically I figured the car problem might be something as simple as some power steering fluid, but I just hadn't got around to checking it out. This morning, though, on the way to the coffee shop I noticed that the steering was REALLY weird. The car kept pulling hard right. Hmm, I thought, maybe I've got a low right-front tire? When I got to the coffee shop I checked and the damned thing was almost flat! I'm serious; this was an extremely low tire. I hadn't noticed it before because I never really approach the car from the right-front. Regardless, I realized this situation needed remedying ASAP. Fortunately for me, I keep one of those portable air compressors (the kind you plug into the cig lighter) in my trunk. Thus I was able to air up my tire, but those little portable compressors are slow as molasses and it was pretty darned chilly outside this morning. Now I'm just waiting to see how quickly the tire leaks back down.
  4. Once I did make it to school, the test I was giving today was not back from the print shop. That was a problem. Fortunately I was able to pawn that one off on our secretary and she came through like a peach. Still, it was nervewracking to be teaching a class, knowing I had to give a test to the next class, and not knowing whether the test was going to be ready when the time came.

There must be something in the air as Melusina is also having a bad day. I guess I should be thankful that nothing worse has happened. I am, however, headed to Huntsville in a few minutes (assuming my tire still has air in it) so who knows what adventures await? I'm going to a craft show (long story) so I just KNOW something noteworthy will happen there. I'll fill y'all in next week.

2 Comments:

At 6:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I have a solution to your shaving problem. You can always WAX your beard off and that should save you at least a weeks worth of shaving.

 
At 12:02 PM, Blogger melusina said...

Lol, and you can blame the bad day on me because I am 7 hours ahead of you. Or 8 if you are in central time. I caused a bad day for the UNIVERSE.

And scruffy is the way to go. I hate that my husband HAS to shave during the week. I love the scruff!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home