Baseball, Books, and ... I need a third B

One guy's random thoughts on things of interest -- books, baseball, and whatever else catches my attention in today's hectic world.

Thursday, March 16, 2006

Let The Games Begin

Today is the start of March Madness. [Yes, I know one reader thinks today is the most important day in March for a completely different reason!] Though I no longer follow basketball, I always have a soft spot for the first two days of the tourney. I used to love the fact that you could watch games at odd hours all day and you got to see teams you'd never heard of. I just thought it was neat.

Of course many people who don't follow the game still participate in "forecasting experiments" (that's what we used to call our pool at UAH to get around the gambling issue). This year I'm not even in one of those. I did have to fill out my pal Berkowitz's bracket for him because he's on a jaunt to Italy (poor guy). That was kind of fun, especially since it wasn't my money being thrown down the tube. So, anyway, I'm not in a pool this year, but here's my all-time favorite tourney story, courtesy of Craig Newmark. You've got to love the fact that in one fell swoop he managed to get his wife ostracized at work and get the rules changed for the following year. Cool!

2 Comments:

At 10:45 AM, Blogger Becky said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 1:14 AM, Blogger Vol Abroad said...

That is a funny forecasting story. We have pools for the World Cup here. But you don't get to choose your team. You just pays your money and takes your chances.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home