Baseball, Books, and ... I need a third B

One guy's random thoughts on things of interest -- books, baseball, and whatever else catches my attention in today's hectic world.

Friday, June 09, 2006

You've got the wrong number!!!

Today I'm ranting about a relatively recent pet peeve of mine: WRONG NUMBERS!

Let me point out that I'm not annoyed by the mere fact that people sometimes dial the wrong number. I've dialed a few wrong numbers myself and I understand how it happens. What I don't get, though, is the apparent inability to recognize that one has dialed a wrong number! A few examples:

  1. Every couple of weeks I get a phone call from (I think) the same woman. She usually opens with some small talk. Things like, "How's it going?" or "What are you up to?" and then she will ask, "Is Momma there?" Seriously, this woman is calling her mother and doesn't find it odd that a strange man is answering the phone. Maybe that's not an unusual event at Momma's, but I know I would be curious if I called the Caffeine Folks and any sort of stranger answered the phone. This woman though, believes she has called her mother's house, right up until I tell her she's got the wrong number. AND she keeps doing it! I just don't get it.
  2. Ever since I moved to Decatur, about once a month I'll have a message on the answering machine from someone in Maine asking questions about rocks -- yes, rocks! According to the messages, these people think they have called some rock shop -- I'm assuming in Maine. First off, can you make a good living running a rock shop? Even if you can, you'd probably do better if your customers had the correct phone number. Anyway, ... The phone messages amaze me because if the callers would simply listen to my outgoing message, I think it'd be obvious that I'm not a Maine rock seller. Yet once a month or so I'll have a guy leave a detailed message about some burning rock issue.
  3. Yesterday I had one of the strangest ones yet. Some guy called to tell me that he had water at his house if my family wanted to come over there to shower. Now best I could figure, his neighbors/friends/relatives probably lost their water and he was making a generous offer. What I can't figure, though, is that he called them by name in the message and neither name matched mine. Hence, I'd think when he heard my outgoing message saying, "This is xxx, I can't take your call ...," he'd have realize he had the wrong number. But he didn't and I'm assuming his neighbors/friends/relatives never did get their showers.

So what's my point? I understand that one sometimes dials a wrong number, but show a little common sense!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home