Baseball, Books, and ... I need a third B

One guy's random thoughts on things of interest -- books, baseball, and whatever else catches my attention in today's hectic world.

Sunday, May 28, 2006

More movie stuff

Perhaps inspired by my post on top-grossing films, I decided to go to the movies yesterday. Actually I was inspired by the heat. That's something I used to do a lot in grad school. The first apartment I lived in in Tuscaloosa could have doubled as Satan's sauna. Seriously, it was one hot apartment. I don't know what it was about my apartment, but I never even had to turn on the heat during the winter. The apartment below mine had the same problem, so its tenant (Karen) often joined me on my movie jaunts. Though we enjoyed seeing the films, we were basically renting air conditioning for a few hours. Anyway, yesterday turned out to be a scorcher and though I now have a decent air conditioning system, the heat made me nostalgic for the theater.

I went to see the new X-Men movie. Since I was a fan of the comic books, I was initially skeptical of the film series. In my opinion, though, they've done a pretty good job with the series and this one was no exception. There were some scenes that were a little over the top, but all-in-all I give it a thumbs up. Of course my opinion shouldn't carry much weight as this was the first movie I'd been to in almost a year -- last summer was relatively cool for N AL.

While I enjoyed the movie, I think I liked the previews more. That happens to me every time I go to the theater. The trailers look so good, I vow that I will go see them all. Of course I forget my vow once I leave the theater and I'm invariably disappointed when I do follow through. This time, though, I saw a teaser that I may follow up on -- Ghost Rider! Ghost Rider was one of my very favorite comics. It was so dark and the film seems to have captured that. I'm sure I'll be disappointed, but I think I'll take the chance. Oh, I also saw they've made yet another version of The Omen. Why? Of course my bias against the Omen films may be influenced by the fact that Caffeine Mom supposedly wanted to name me Damien. Boy that would have been peachy, huh?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home