Baseball, Books, and ... I need a third B

One guy's random thoughts on things of interest -- books, baseball, and whatever else catches my attention in today's hectic world.

Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Brush with fame

Looks like I'm having lunch with this guy on Saturday. See, he's being inducted into the "hall of fame" and I will be attending his hall of fame luncheon. Okay a few disclaimers probably are in order. First, it's an Alabama sports hall of rather than THE HALL OF FAME. Second, it's not even THE Alabama Sports Hall of Fame. Nah, it's something like the AL Community/Junior College Sports Hall of Fame. Finally, it's not actually the official hall of fame luncheon. No, he's just coming here for a little extra luncheon/recognition thing we wanted to throw for him.

Still, I'm surprised he even said he'd show up for the official thing. I thought there was no way he'd come here for our little on-campus ceremony. When the Prez was telling us all about her desire to get him here, I shared much skepticism with the folks sitting around me. "No way," I said, "he'll show up here." Looks like I was wrong. Oh well, he is our most famous (athletic) alum. Maybe he has found memories.

So I'm looking forward to that this weekend, though I could have done without the little "reminder" from the central office that "business attire is required." Turns out, though, I've been upstaged by my own kin. Via Caffeine Bro, I got this picture in my inbox this morning. Geesh, my grandpa and great grandpa now have a bridge named after them. Now THAT'S the mark of fame! I can't immediately place the bridge, though I'd bet I know the general locale and I'd wager that's Cypress Creek it's crossing. Oh, those are various Caffeines gathered next to the sign.

1 Comments:

At 1:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great picture!You should have it framed. Seriously. No one in my family has ever had (or is likely to have) a bridge named after them. This is very cool!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home